S/U Grading Option For Cohort AY2013/14 And Before

S/U Grading Option For Cohort AY2013/14 And Before

Students may exercise the S/U option for up to 12 MCs of modules that cannot be counted towards student’s major, minor, Faculty or special programme requirements (incl. USP, etc.). Modules that are offered and read on a Completed Satisfactory/Completed Unsatisfactory (CS/CU) basis (i.e., pass/fail basis) will not count towards the 12 MCs of S/U.

About S/U Grading

  • For modules read on an S/U basis, a credit is obtained only if a student attains a ‘Satisfactory’ grade on the module.
  • A ‘Satisfactory’ grade is an equivalent of a C grade [or grade point of 2.0] and above.
  • All modules read on S/U basis are excluded from the computation of the CAP.
  • S/U option, once exercised, is irrevocable. Students may not later request for a conversion to a letter grade (i.e. A – D) after they have declared.
  • A student may opt for up to 12 modular credits to be graded on S/U basis and counted towards fulfilling his degree requirements. Nonetheless, a student is allowed to opt for an additional module to be taken on S/U basis as long as his/her accumulated S/U MCs is less than 12 at the point of declaration. For such a student, the total number of S/U MCs will eventually exceed 12. However, only a total of 12 S/U MCs will be counted towards his/her degree requirements (i.e. any excess S/U MCs will not be counted towards any part of the degree requirements for graduation).

S/U Option Declaration – Some Limitations

  • All students are not allowed to exercise S/U option on modules dropped with a ‘F’ grade during the semester;
  • S/U option is not applicable on modules in which a student has been found to have committed plagiarism;
  • Students are not allowed to exercise the S/U option on Engineering modules (all levels), including those taken as unrestricted electives (UE) except for General Education (GEMs), Singapore Studies (SS) & Freshmen Seminar modules hosted by the Faculty.;
  • Students are not allowed to exercise the S/U option on bridging modules (MA1301, PC1221 and PC1222).

Maximum no. of MCs allowed to be excluded from the CAP

Please refer to the link below (Registrar’s Office S/U Option FAQ) for the limits on number of MCs that are allowed to be excluded from students’ CAP (as applicable to different cohorts).

However, please note that for NUS Engineering, a minimum 60% of Programme/Major credits must be graded and factored into the CAP. The other 40% of credits may be earned through credit transfers, advanced placement, exemptions and CS-graded modules. Please refer to “MCs excluded from CAP Computation” in the General Information section of the archived NUS Bulletin relevant to their year of admission.

Modular Credits (MCs) earned from Enhancement Programmes

Students who successfully complete an Enhancement Programme (IA, VIP, TIP, UROP, IP or IWP) will receive either a CS or CU grade which does not affect the CAP or count towards the 12 MCs allowed under S/U Option. Enhancement Programme module credits are used to fulfill the UEM requirement.

Taking Additional Technical Electives

We encourage students to read more than the minimum number of Technical Electives (TE) that are required for their respective degree programme. These additional TEs can be declared as unrestricted electives (UE). Students should note the engineering modules should be done on a graded basis i.e. even when taken as UE (cannot be S/U).

Summary of the module types and whether the S/U option can be exercised:
General Education Modules (GEM/GEK)Yes*
Singapore Studies (SS)Yes*
ULR Breadth ModulesYes*
Unrestricted Elective Modules (UEM)Yes*
Minor ModulesNo
Faculty Program Requirement (including Technical Electives) & MajorNo
Engineering modules taken as Unrestricted Electives (UE)No
Graded modules done in previous semestersNo

* All modules are available on S/U option unless the faculties offering them indicate otherwise.

If you need more information about the guidelines on Module Declaration, please refer here.

For more detailed information on S/U, please refer to the FAQs section or Registrar’s Office S/U Homepage.

S/U Grading Option For Cohort AY2013/14 And Before