FAQs for Current Students

FAQs for Current Students

FAQs about the NUS Engineering Curriculum and Requirements

When must I complete my University Requirements?

While students should complete these within the 8 semesters of study, please follow your Department’s recommended schedule. In particular, it would be prudent to read the General Education and Singapore Studies modules within the first two years of study.

I am required to take the English module, ES1102 English for Academic Purposes (Engineering) for cohorts before AY 2016/17 & ES1103 from cohorts AY 2016/17 onwards. Does it mean that I have to pass this module before I can take the “Critical Thinking and Writing” module (ES1531/GEK1549/GET1021)?

Only students who are required to take ES1102 or ES1103, need to pass it before embarking on the core “Critical Thinking and Writing” module (ES1531/GEK1549/GET1021). ES1102 or ES1103 is a pre-requisite module for the “Critical Thinking and Writing” module.

I have registered for a Breadth which is cross-listed as a Singapore Studies (SS) module. Can I convert the module into a SS instead?

No, you cannot, because there are different quotas for GEMs and CFMs. This applies for conversion between cross-listed SS and GEMs.

I have registered for a ULR Breadth which is cross-listed as a General Education Module (GEM/GEK). Can I convert the module into a GEM/GEK instead? (only applicable to cohort 2014 and before)

No. You need to bid for the module with GEK/GEM code during CORS. Conversion of a module type after CORS is not permitted.

I wish to extend beyond 4 years' of study to do extra modules even though I have fulfilled all my B.Eng. requirements. Is this possible?

Students who have fulfilled the graduation requirements but wish to do a few extra modules can do so in which case,

  • They should not file for graduation or repeat modules which they have already obtained pass grades so as to improve their grades.
  • All modules will be counted towards the CAP and class of honors.
  • Pay the semester fee.
  • Read at least 18MCs of level 3000 or higher modules.

Is there any limit on the number of level 1000 modules that engineering students can read in their entire candidature?

Students should not read more than 60MCs of level 1000 modules towards their degree requirements (minimum of 160 MCs for graduation).

What happens if a student exceeds the 60 MC limit of level 1000 modules because of many level 1000 bridging modules & etc.?

Some of the level 1000 modules taken as ULR/UE would not be counted towards the 160MC graduation requirement even though they will still count towards the CAP. Students may have to take, say a higher level (level 2000) ULR module (GEM / SS) in such a situation.

Do students who are in the double degree programme have a 60-MC limit on the number of level 1000 modules? Every semeste

Every semester, modules read by double degree students will be classified so that they count towards one of the following to meet each individual degree requirement:

  • C1: counting towards primary degree
  • C2: counting towards second degree
  • CA: counting towards both degrees

For students admitted from AY2007/08 onwards, there is a 60-MC limit on the level 1000 modules for each degree. Therefore, for modules coded C1 & CA which are to meet the primary degree requirement, the limit for level 1000 modules cannot exceed 60 MCs. Likewise, for modules coded C2 & CA which are to meet the second degree requirement, the limit for level 1000 modules cannot exceed 60 MCs.

FAQs about Special Programmes offered by NUS Engineering

How do I apply for the Double Degree Programme (DDP) with French Grandes Ecoles?

Admission to the French DDP is not just based on the ability to speak fluent French or a willingness to spend two years in France. All NUS French DDP students are carefully selected from among the top 5% of their cohort in their respective Faculties/Schools and they undergo intensive technical preparatory classes in Mathematics and Physics prior to their studies in France. Basically, students in this Programme will undertake rigorous academic studies for the first 2 years in NUS and next 2 years in France. These students will then return to do their Master’s degree in NUS. The whole process will take about 5.5-6 years. Selection begins soon after the Year 1 Sem 1 exams. Eligible students will receive exclusive an email invitation to attend French DDP talk during their Year 1 Sem 2. If you did not receive such invitation via the NUS email, you are probably not eligible for this programme. For more information on this programme, please click here.

I understand that HR2002 is a faculty requirement that is required of all engineering students from cohort 2015 and before. However, if I have read and passed MNO1001/MNO1001X, could this be mapped to HR2002?

Students who are or have been in one of the following programmes may have read MNO1001/MNO1001X:

  • Double Degree Programme in Engineering and Business Administration
  • Double Degree Programme in Engineering and Business Administration (Accountancy)
  • Major in Management
  • Major in Management (Technology)
  • Minor in Management
  • Minor in Management of Technology
  • Minor in Technopreneurship

(* Minor in Technopreneurship awarded by iLead or NOC will not be considered since MNO1001 is not part of the curriculum.)

Students who have read and passed MNO1001/MNO1001X need not read HR2002 i.e., MNO1001/MNO1001X will be mapped towards HR2002.

Engineering students from cohort 2015 & before who are not in the above programs, must read HR2002. If MNO1001/MNO1001X has already been read, it can be used to fulfil Breadth/UEM requirements (only applicable to cohort 2014 and before).

Double Degree Programme: Can I re-classify my modules taken in past semesters? If so, who should I approach?

Students can reclassify their past semesters’ modules only in their graduating semester. Students are to write in to notify both faculties before week 5 of the graduating semester. The request for re- classification will be subjected to approval by both faculties.

I'm interested to apply for SEP. Where do I apply?

Please visit the SEP website. If you have further queries, please feel free to contact your relevant SEP contacts found here.

Are students on SEP allowed to use their modules taken to map against Breadth in NUS?

Yes, this is allowed. Please approach your department SEP coordinator for advice.

What are the important factors that the Faculty of Engineering would consider before approving a self-initiated Double Degree Programme (DDP) of an Engineering student?

The Engineering student must:

  • Declare his/her intention to enroll for a self-initiated DDP just after completing between 60 MCs to 80 MCs, that is, just after the third semester or fourth semester. The credits must be obtained from NUS modules (letter graded or satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) graded) and must not include credits earned from Student Exchange Programmes (SEPs) or Advanced Placement Credits (APCs).
  • Show evidence that he/she can handle both degrees by enrolling in a Minor or Major and have completed and done well (grade of B+ and above) in at least 5 modules of the second degree.
  • Have an overall CAP well above 4.0 at the point of application of the self-initiated DDP.
  • Propose a road map showing the completion of the two degrees within the normal duration of 4.5 years (single honours) or 5.0 years (double honours)

Are there any restrictions in terms of combining special programmes?

According to the University regulations, students may choose to pursue only one of the following types of special programmes, i.e., one Double Degree Programme (DDP) or one Concurrent Degree Programme (CDP) or one Concurrent Double Master Programme (CDMP), in a single continuous candidature. He/she would not be eligible for another special programme until the first one has been completed and they have graduated from it. For further information, please read from here.

As a second major is not specifically prohibited in combination with a DDP, the student’s home faculty will evaluate the student’s request and his suitability to decide whether to support the request. The faculty hosting the Second Major will also have a say in whether to admit a student to a Second Major. Factors that will be taken into consideration include: student’s performance in the existing DDP, duration needed to complete both DDP and Second Major and reasons for wanting to read a Second Major in addition to the DDP.

Please also note that students are not allowed to opt for a new Minor, Second Major or Double Degree programme beyond the end of the 5th semester of study.

Other Useful Information

How many calculators can I bring into the examination hall?

Please see here for more information on the use of electronic calculators during examinations.

I need a letter to verify that I am a student of NUS.

Student status letter can be retrieved via SIS (student information system). For more details, please refer to here.

I would like to withdraw from the university. What is the procedure to do so?

Please see this link for more information.

What is the minimum CAP I have to maintain in order to stay in the Engineering programme?

Please see this link for more information.

I received a letter of dismissal from Registrar's Office. How do I appeal to stay in the Engineering programme?

Appeals must be made by the end of the first week of a semester.

If you have been streamed to a department, then your letter of appeal (together with a copy of the letter of dismissal from Registrar’s Office and other supporting documents, if any) should be addressed and submitted to your Home Department.

If you are in ENG1 (Common Engineering), then your appeal must be addressed and submitted to the Vice Dean (Undergraduate Programs), Faculty of Engineering.

What is the effect on my grade if I missed an examination?

In case of absence from the examination, if the Board of Examiners decides to grant you special consideration, you will get an “IC” (Incomplete) grade but no modular credits for the module. IC grade will not affect your CAP. A module assigned an “IC” grade cannot be used to fulfill the prerequisite of a higher level module. You will have to retake (if it is essential) or replace the module in subsequent semesters. However, if the Board of Examiners does not grant you an IC grade, you will receive zero marks for your examination. You may still pass the module based on the merit of your CA if weightage of the CA component is high enough. Whatever grade you get will be factored into your CAP. Please note that the submission of a medical certificate and/or a Special Consideration form does not guarantee that an “IC” grade will be granted. Refer to the Exam Directory for further information on examinations.

If a GE module is cross-listed with a regular module, can I change the module code from one to the other? (only applicable to cohort 2014 and before)

Such conversion is not recommended because of the different bid points in obtaining the modules. You are strongly encouraged to bid for the correct module code i.e. if you intend to fulfill GE requirements, please bid under the GEM/GEK code. Students may write in to engna@nus.edu.sg to appeal for a module code conversion in the final semester of their studies after the module registration exercise is over.

FAQs for Current Students