Student Information:

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grading Option FOR COHORT AY2013 AND BEFORE

The Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) option is intended to encourage students to pursue their intellectual interests, without undue concern that exploring a new subject area may adversely affect their CAP.

The S/U declaration exercise will be conducted upon the release of examination results and will end by the stipulated deadline, which will be announced each semester. Students will exercise their S/U option during this period for any module that permits the S/U option. Once the S/U option is exercised, it is irrevocable; i.e., no further changes are possible thereafter and students may not later request for a conversion to a letter grade (i.e. A to D).

S/U Option


Students may exercise the S/U option for up to 12 MCs of modules that cannot be counted towards student's major, minor, Faculty or special program requirements (incl. USP, etc). Modules that are offered & read on a Completed Satisfactory/Completed Unsatisfactory (CS/CU) basis (i.e., pass/fail basis) will not count towards the 12 MCs of S/U.

First-year Common Engineering students should refer to this link for information about the 2nd S/U Option Exercise following the streaming exercise.

About S/U Grading


Ø      For modules read on an S/U basis, a credit is obtained only if a student attains a 'Satisfactory' grade on the module.
Ø      A 'Satisfactory' grade is an equivalent of a C grade [or grade point of 2.0] and above.
Ø      All modules read on S/U basis are excluded from the computation of the CAP.
Ø      S/U option, once exercised, is irrevocable. Students may not later request for a conversion to a letter grade (i.e. A - D) after they have declared.
Ø      A student may opt for up to 12 modular credits to be graded on S/U basis and counted towards fulfilling his degree requirements. Nonetheless, a student is allowed to opt for an additional module to be taken on S/U basis as long as his/her accumulated S/U MCs is less than 12 at the point of declaration. For such a student, the total number of S/U MCs will eventually exceed 12. However, only a total of 12 S/U MCs will be counted towards his/her degree requirements (i.e. any excess S/U MCs will not be counted towards any part of the degree requirements for graduation).

S/U Option Declaration - Some Limitations


Ø      All students are not allowed to exercise S/U option on modules dropped with a 'F' grade during the semester;
Ø      S/U option is not applicable on modules in which a student has been found to have committed plagiarism;
Ø      Students are not allowed to exercise the S/U option on Engineering modules (all levels), including those taken as unrestricted electives (UE) except for General Education (GEMs), Singapore Studies (SS) & Freshmen Seminar modules hosted by the Faculty.;
Ø      Students are not allowed to exercise the S/U option on bridging modules (MA1301, PC1221 and PC1222).

Maximum no. of MCs allowed to be excluded from the CAP


Please refer to the link below (Registrar's Office S/U Option FAQ) for the limits on number of MCs that are allowed to be excluded from students' CAP (as applicable to different cohorts).
 
However, please note that for the Faculty of Engineering, a minimum 65% of Programme/Major credits must be graded and factored into the CAP. The other 35% of credits may be earned through credit transfers, advanced placement, exemptions and CS-graded modules (please also see here).

Modular Credits (MCs) earned from Enhancement Programmes


Students who successfully complete an Enhancement Programme (IA, VIP, TIP, UROP, IP or IWP) will receive either a CS or CU grade which does not affect the CAP or count towards the 12 MCs allowed under S/U Option. Enhancement Programme module credits are used to fulfill the UEM requirement.

Taking Additional Technical Electives


We encourage students to read more than the minimum number of Technical Electives (TE) that are required for their respective degree program. These additional TEs can be declared as unrestricted electives (UE). Students should note the engineering modules should be done on a graded basis i.e. even when taken as UE (cannot be S/U).

Summary of the module types and whether the S/U option can be exercised:
General Education Modules (GEM/GEK)

Yes*

Singapore Studies (SS)

Yes*

ULR Breadth Modules

Yes*

Unrestricted Elective Modules (UEM)

Yes*

Minor Modules

No

Faculty Program Requirement (including Technical Electives) & Major

No

Engineering modules taken as Unrestricted Electives (UE)

No

Graded modules done in previous semesters

No

 

* All modules are available on S/U option unless the faculties offering them indicate otherwise.

If you need more information about the guidelines on Module Declaration, please refer here.

For more detailed information on S/U, please refer to the FAQs section or Registrar's Office S/U Option FAQ.