Student Exchange Programme


Technical University of Munich (TUM)
Technische Universitaet Muenchen (TUM)


Useful websites: TUM public website TUM student website TUM course website, choose Vorlesungsverzeichnis - Buchfassung. The courses offered will be listed according to faculty. TUM information page for international students. Pdf files available for download in both German and English. IRO’s information page on Germany university and German life TUM room-finder A useful website to translate website from German to English. ECE SEP website DAAD website containing information you might need. Singapore Student Association of Germany (SSAG): guide to live and study in Germany.

FAQ (note that some may be specific to ECE students)
1.     What kind of courses can I take in TUM? 
A:     Go to TUM UnivIS system at Choose Vorlesungsverzeichnis (module listing), then Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik (ECE), Englischsprachige Veranstaltungen (English lectures).
you can visit the ECE SEP website where the past students’ module mappings are listed.

Basically I feel those are the modules that you can take in TUM. They are under MSCE or MSMWE, master programs in TUM. These master courses are in English. To map EE2011 and EE2007, I am afraid the courses are in German.
2.     Where can I get more detail information on each course?
A:     Go to TUM UnivIS system at
For ECE students:
Here list all the English courses offered by ECE in TUM (a.k.a. EI in TUM). Click on each of them and you will get more information about the courses.
3.     What does ECTS mean?
A:     ECTS is equivalent to Modular Credits in NUS. 1 ECTS is roughly about 0.8 MC.
4.     I am quite worried about the language because I don’t know German. Do I need to be able to speak and write German when I go to TUM for SEP?
A:    The professors and students in TUM are quite proficient in English. Most of the courses are taught in English, especially for Master courses in MSCE or MSMWE. With English, you can do well in those courses. Not knowing German will not affect your studies if you take the English courses. For EE2007 and EE2011, I guess you definitely need German as they are taught in German.
In fact, you can live in Munich knowing only English. It will be fine. But it will be a bonus to know German.
5.     Are the examinations in German?
A:     If you take English courses, then it will be in English, otherwise it will be in German.
6.     How many modules shall I take for a semester?
A:     You can take as many modules as you like, as long as you can map them back to NUS. 5 or 6 modules are common. For more information on the policies on MCs for modules, please see
7.     Does TUM offer German language courses?
A:     There are always many German language courses going on in Munich, either in TUM or other outside language institutions, like Goethe institute, CDC.
There is also the TUM summer university course which takes place in September (01.09-30.09). This course is a language course cum orientation in TUM. You will receive more information about this summer university course when the time comes.
8.     I sent email to corresponding department, but they have not replied me?
A:    Due to a shortage in manpower, some administrative offices are not opened everyday. It is best you call them during office hours for urgent matters. Another point to note is there are major holiday periods, e.g. Jun-Aug and Christmas period when nobody is in the office. So DO NOT EXPECT a reply immediately like in Singapore.

9.      Module mapping is really a troublesome thing, isn't it?
A:     Yes and No.
Yes: You may need to do more than one draft and you might meet a situation in TUM where you have to change your study plan time and again, thus you can only confirm the MCs after you have submitted your transcript upon returning to NUS.
No: If you want to take the courses already taken by previous students from NUS doing SEP in TUM. The record is on the ECE SEP website.
Module planning is just the beginning of a whole series of things you need to do. But isn’t this also the fun part when going for SEP? After you’ve finished the whole process, I believe you will feel a great sense of achievement like I did. 
10.    How is the study life in TUM like?
A:     The lectures are more interesting than those in NUS. I think this is mostly likely because for master courses, the class is smaller. So the quality is higher. Not much compulsory homework or tutorials. Learning is mostly on your own, just like in NUS. Just do not think their courses are of lower standard or VERY easy to pass. You still have to study a bit for the courses. However, on SEP you should travel and enjoy life.

VISA matters:
1.     How much money do I need to prepare for VISA application?
A:    You will have to prove that you have a minimum amount of €572.00 net available per month for at least one year. The minimum number changes, so I suggest you have about € 600.00 ready for each month. This means you need to proof you have a minimum of € 7000.00 (12 months * €572.00). (Exact amount could have changed, please reconfirm with German embassy in Singapore when you apply visa.)
For students receiving the Siemens-NUS-TUM award, you may wish to produce the award papers given by Siemens to apply for the visa. In this case, the minimum €7000.00 is not required but you will have to prove that you have some money because the award is less than €7000.00.
2.     How much is the visa application?
A:     For Singaporeans, it is S$80.00. For Chinese, it is S$90.00. The visa you will get initially from German Embassy in Singapore is only valid for three months. After arriving in Munich, you will have to go to the immigration office (KVR = Kreisverwaltungsreferats) to extend your visa to 6 (or 12) months. This will cost you another €50.00.
3.     How long does the whole VISA application procedure take?
A:     If I remember correctly, the embassy will tell you that it takes approximately 6-8 weeks after you have submitted all the documents, certificates and financial proof. So my advice is to apply early, at least two months in advance.
4.     Where is German Embassy in Singapore?
A:     Singapore Land Tower     
        50 Raffles Place   
        Singapore 048623 
        Tel: 65336002       
This Land Tower building is just outside Raffles Place MRT, exit B. It is beside Caltex House.
5.     What are the visa requirements?
German Visa Requirements can be found at the German Embassy Website at
Two forms on the website:
Visa application form & Application form for residence permit
Last year, I remember I submitted two sets of the same form of “Application form for residence permit”, but not the visa application form. Please ask the embassy to clarify which forms to be filled in and submitted.
6.     Where will the Schengen VISA allow me to travel?
A:     A visa valid for the Schengen States allows the bearer to travel to the Netherlands and the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Spain Sweden and Switzerland. For Singaporeans, you can also go to Czech Republic. Chinese nationals will need to apply visa to go to Czech Republic, where Prague is the capital, a popluar tourist destination.

Preparation before departure:
1.      How much is the range of monthly housing rental?
A:      It varies with the student hostels and could range from approximately 180 to 300 euros/month. The rental includes utilities bill (water, electricity), central heating and internet if any. There is an organization “Studentenwerk” which is in charge of all the student hostels in Munich. They will allocate hostels for exchange students. But you are not allowed to change rooms/hostels because they will tell you they are not able to accommodate everyone’s need and there are so many students.
Also relevant:
Transport: € 28 -€ 50 a month (depends where you live)
Insurance: € 58 for student per month (VERY IMPORTANT! Don't buy long-term insurance in Singapore! Travel insurance is ok. But you need German insurance in Munich after all. This is a Munich policy; you need it to get your long term residence permit (visa).
2.      Where can I get access to the Internet? Will the house provide internet connection?
A:      You can use free Internet in school. The campus is wired and some places are wireless. Internet is provided for most of the student hostels, but not all.
3.      Does the room have central heating facility?
A:     Yes. All student hostels have central heating. The heating cost is normally included in the rental.
4.      Will I get food at my house?
A:     Yes, IF YOU COOK YOURSELF. Dining out everyday is not really affordable. In school, there is canteen, but only provides lunch. So whether you are a GUY or a GIRL, it is important that you learn cooking before leaving. 
5.      How do I get money in Germany?
A:     The most convenient way is to bring credit cards or net cards with cirrus or maestro logo and withdraw from any bank’s ATM. There will be a $5 service charge for every cash withdrawal. You can consider opening a local bank account, but that could take quite some time. So please bring some cash (Euros of course) for the initial period in Munich.
6.      How can I get cheaper air ticket?
A:      Booking earlier or during promotion will surely save you some money. However caution is to be taken due to uncertainty in VISA application. The long duration of flight (10-12 hrs) and luggage allowance might be something to consider too. For Munich, Emirates and Thai Air can be considered.
Check the following website for airticket:
7.      Can I get direct flight to Munich?
A:      Not so sure. But I think most flights will have to transit somewhere and then to Munich.
8.      Shall I arrive early?
A:      It would be best if you arrive early to attend the orientation week as that will help you settle down more easily and make lots of new friends. However be aware of your housing starting date. If you arrive earlier than that, you may have problems checking in. It is also better to arrive during the day so you can get your keys from housing office.
All students should plan their arrival times, so they are-at the latest-present for the beginning of the winter semester, which begins in October. The Summer University and Orientation Month offer anything from dealing with very important formalities-such as enrollment, compulsory health insurance, registration with local authorities, etc to an advanced German language course, and all kinds of activities to get to know Munich and the surrounding areas (hiking tour in the Alps, Weißwurst breakfast and other Bavarian traditions, etc).
For more information about the Orientation Month and TUM International (TUMi) throughout the year, visit
9.      Where can I get my keys?
A:      You should email the housing office in advance to arrange for collection of keys upon arrival. They will probably also require you to pay deposit, so it is advisable to bring some cash with you.
Matters after arrival:
1.      How to get to Munich center from Munich Franz-Josef-Airport?
A:     The suburban railway lines („S-Bahn“) S8 and S1 run directly from the airport to downtown Munich. On your day of arrival, it will be best to buy a blue multi-ride card („Streifenkarte“) from one of the ticket vending machines at the airport (cost: 9,50 €). For travel downtown (e.g. to the central station-„Hauptbahnhof“) you will need to cancel eight strips on the Streifenkarte. As there are several possibilities to reach the TUM main campus, please refer to the public transportation maps and schedules that are located at every station.
2.      Will there be anybody to help me settle down?
A:      It depends.
3.      Can I use my Singapore hand phone there? Is subscription better or prepaid?
A:      Yes. Subscription for short term is more expensive than prepaid cards. Prepaid cards can be bought from shopping centers or hand phone shops. It can also be used to send international messages. Most of us use prepaid since we don’t have to call often and it is not very expensive. You may not be able to subscribe cos the plan is two years, same as in Singapore, but you are only here for exchange (max 1. year).
4.      Is it expensive to call home?
A:     Yes, if you use your hand phone. Skype is a very good software for internationally calling. You can call from computer to computer for free or buy credits to call from computer to a telephone. It is about 1euro for 1hour. You can download a better software similar to Skype. It is called VoipStunt.
5.      What is the common transportation to go to University?
A:      U-bahn and/or S-bahn. It is MRT in Germany.
Suggested list of things to take with you
You can add or remove things on this list at your own discretion. It also depends on how long you will stay in Munich and in which season you will be in Munich.
Most of the things are available in Munich at a reasonable price (similar to Singapore). Wal-Mart in Munich is a good place to start shopping for settling in.
a)      All of your Original Documents + Some photocopies
1) Clothes and Wearings
a)      3-Jeans/Trousers + 1-2 Leather Belts
b)      2-3 Long Sleeve shirts
c)      5 T-Shirts
d)      5-Underwears
e)      2 Sweaters
f)       2-High necks
g)      2-winter Jackets/Windbreaker
h)      1-Pair of Warm Gloves + 1-Winter Caps
i)        Clothes hangers
2) Shoes
a)      1-pair of leather shoes
b)      2-pairs of Track shoes
c)      1-Slipper / 1-Sandle
d)      3-Socks each (for both Summer/Nylon and Winter/Woolen)
3) Miscellaneous
a)      Shaving Kit + small mirror + Nail Cutter + Scissors
b)      Antiseptic powder/solution
c)      Comb/hair-brush + Hair Gel + Shampoo + shower cream
d)      Tooth Brush + Tooth Paste
e)      Tissue Paper packs
f)       2-Towels
g)      Umbrella
h)      Alarm Clock + Scientific Calculator
i)       band-aids + Medicines
j)       basic stationery (including stapler, highlighter, etc)
k)       Locks + Keychain
l)       Bed Sheet (single) + Pillow cover (you can buy quilt and pillow in Munich)
m)     Lotion and moisturizer
4) Cutlery (you can buy them in Munich, coz bringing these things are troublesome, and for knife, better put it in check-in luggage)
a)      1-rice cooker
b)      some spoons and forks, maybe chopsticks
c)      2-Plates
d)      1-Frying Pan
e)      1-Knife

Some common medicine that you are used to is also good to bring. Seeing doctors is not very expensive because you will have to pay health insurance every month.
The voltage there is same as Singapore, but the sockets are special. So you may want to bring one or two universal socket / socket converter.
Things like pillow or quilt will not be provided but it is not recommended to bring them as they are bulky. You can get them in Munich and they are not expensive.
Some Singapore local ingredients may relieve you from being homesick.
You should also apply for International Student Card. You can do it in the STA office near Science Co-op. S$15 with one photos + passport + NUS matric card.
Travel Insurance: for the initial period

Some additional information:
REGISTRATION matters for VISA & student ID in TUM
After your application has been processed by the TUM Admissions Office, you should receive a Letter of Admission („Zulassungsbescheid“).

At the time of enrollment, you will receive your Student ID and several student certifications, including the special proof of enrollment for the Munich Public Transportation System, in order to be eligible for the student reduced-rate passes.

Enrollment is only valid for one semester, so it is very important that you re-register in a timely manner. The re-registration deadline will be on the documents you obtain at enrollment.
Please do not apply for a working visa. You are participating in the LAOTSE exchange program and therefore you do not need a working permit.
Contributed by:
Xu Xiao (, ECE Dept)
March 2006
Disclaimer: The information provided in this document is true based on my knowledge. It is only served as guidance. Please check the websites or relevant organizations for the latest information/requirements.