Milestones

  
Our Milestones
Take a journey in time and discover our past and present achievements:

  • 1950 - 1959
    • 1955
      • Professional engineering education commenced at the then University of Malaya, at the Bukit Timah campus.

      1958
      • The Department of Engineering was elevated to full Faculty status when it was transferred to the Kuala Lumpur division of the University of Malaya.

      • The Singapore Polytechnic, a constituent college of the University of Malaya, began to offer a four-year professional engineering diploma.
  • 1960 - 1969
    • 1960
      • The two Governments indicated that the two divisions of the University of Malaya should autonomous separate national universities.

      1962
      • The University of Singapore was established.

      1968
      • The first batch of Singapore Polytechnic graduates received the Bachelor of Engineering degree from the University of Singapore.

      1969
      • The Faculty of Engineering (i.e. NUS Engineering) was constituted under the University of Singapore, and had three departments - Civil, Electrical and Mechanical. It was initially located in the same building as the Singapore Polytechnic at Prince Edward Road.

      • NUS Engineering started a two-year part-time Master of Science (Systems Engineering) course for engineers and scientists working in industry, government and statutory boards. The first eight graduates of this course were conferred their degree in 1971.
  • 1970 - 1979
    • 1972
      • The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering was established.

      1977
      • NUS Engineering moved to the new Kent Ridge Campus.

      1978
      • The Joint Campus between the University of Singapore and Nanyang University was established at Bukit Timah.

      1979
      • The Department of Chemical Engineering was transferred from the Faculty of Science to NUS Engineering.

      • Part-time Master of Science courses in Construction Engineering and Industrial and Systems Engineering, as well as Master of Engineering and PhD research degrees were offered.
  • 1980 - 1989
    • 1980
      • Following the earlier merge of the University of Singapore with Nanyang University, the National University of Singapore was established.

      1987
      • A method of employing seabed clay sandwiched between thin sand layers was applied to reclaim 40-hectares of land at Changi South Bay, thus reducing costs by a third, was developed by Professor Lee Seng-Lip.

      1988
      • The first NUS spinoff company, founded by Professor Jacob Phang, developed a scanning electron microscope image acquisition system used by semiconductor companies to detect faults in integrated circuits.

      1989
      • The Distinguished Alumni Engineering Award was instituted, with Alex Chan as the inaugural recipient.
  • 1990 - 1999
    • 1990
      • The Postgraduate School of Engineering was established.

      1992
      • The Magnetics Technology Centre (MTC) was established by Professor Low Teck Seng, and it expanded to become the Data Storage Institute (DSI) in 1996.

      • The Centre for Wireless Communications (CWC) was established. Through multiple mergers, CWC become the Institute for Infocomm Research (I2R) in 2002.

      1994
      • The modular system was adopted by NUS Engineering.

      1995
      • The part-time Bachelor of Technology programme was launched.

      1997
      • The undergraduate programme in Computer Engineering was launched.

      •The undergraduate Environmental Engineering programme was launched.

      1998
      • The Department of Chemical Engineering was renamed the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering.
  • 2000 - 2009
    • 2000
      • The Department of Mechanical and Production Engineering was renamed the Department of Mechanical Engineering.

      • The Department of Electrical Engineering was renamed the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.

      2001
      • The NUS Formula Society of Automotive Engineers (FSAE) project took off with its first race car called HOPE 03.

      2002
      • The Division of Bioengineering was established.

      2003
      • The Environmental Science and Engineering Programme was established.

      2004
      • The Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering was renamed the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.

      2005
      • The Department of Materials Science and Engineering was established when the Department of Materials Science was transferred from the Faculty of Science to NUS Engineering.

      • The Division of Environmental Science and Engineering was established to focus on Environmental Science and Engineering.

      2006
      • The Engineering Science Programme was launched.

      2007
      • The Division of Engineering and Technology Management was established.

      2009
      • The School of Computing’s Bachelor of Computing (Computer Engineering) and the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering’s Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Engineering) merged to become a joint programme, which leads to a Bachelor of Computer Engineering.

      • The Design-Centric Curriculum (later renamed Innovation & Design-Centric Programme) and the Global Engineering Programme (GEP) were established.
  • 2010 - Present
    • 2010
      • The Department of Civil Engineering and the Division of Environmental Science and Engineering merged to form the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.

      • The Engineering Alumni Service Award, a new Alumni Award, was launched.

      2011
      • The Institute of Engineering Leadership was established.

      2012
      • The Advanced Robotics Centre was established.

      2013
      • The Department of Bioengineering was renamed the Department of Biomedical Engineering.

      • The S$75-m Keppel-NUS Corporate Laboratory was launched by the Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore, Mr Teo Chee Hean. This is the first corporate laboratory to be established by a local company with a university in Singapore.

      2015
      • NUS Engineering deployed two satellites in space - Galassia and Kent Ridge 1.