Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65)6516 8663
Dr GOH Siang Huat is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at the National University of Singapore. He graduated from the National University of Singapore with B.Eng. (First Class Honours) and M.Eng. degrees in 1991 and 1995 respectively, and from Cornell University with a Ph.D. degree in 2001. His M.Eng. thesis research was in the propagation of blast and shock wave in dry soils, whereas his Ph.D. dissertation was in soil-pile interaction during liquefaction-induced lateral spread.
Upon graduating from Cornell University, Dr. Goh worked for more than four years in Mueser Rutledge Consulting Engineers, which is a small but high-profile geotechnical consulting firm in New York City, as well as one of the oldest. In the aftermath of the September 11 events in NYC, Dr. Goh was involved in carrying out advanced analyses to assist in the recovery and reconstruction works of the World Trade Centre.
Dr. Goh returned to Singapore in 2005. He worked as a research fellow in the NUS Civil Engineering Department from 2006 to 2008, and became a faculty member in 2009.
- B.Eng. (First Class Honours), National University of Singapore, Singapore, 1991
- M.Eng. (Civil), National University of Singapore, Singapore, 1995
- Ph.D., Cornell University, USA, 2001
- Silver Award, Singapore Accreditation Council Assessor, 2012
- Bronze Award, Singapore Accreditation Council Assessor, 2009
Scientific and professional societies
- Member, Geotechnical Society of Singapore (GeoSS)
Institutional and professional service in the last five years
- Associate Editor, Journal of Earthquake and Tsunami, World Scientific Publishing
- Operations Manager, The Centre for Protective Technology, Faculty of Engineering, National University of Singapore
- Member, Organizing Committee, Underground Singapore Conference, 2011
- Member, Organizing Committee, 5th Asian-Pacific Symposium on Structural Reliability and its Applications, APSSRA2012
- Secretary, Organizing Committee, International Symposium on Advances in Ground Technology and Geo-Information, 2011
- Course Lecturer for Institution of Engineers, Singapore, Geotechnical Engineering Appreciation Course on Deep Foundations (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012)
- Member, Organizing Committee, Novel Automobile Barrier (NAB) challenge for Singapore Institution of Higher Learning, 2010
- Geotechnical Finite Element Method
- Soil Mechanics
- Foundation Analysis, Earth Retaining Structures
- Geotechnical Centrifuge Modeling of Dynamic Events
- Numerical Modeling of Seismic Soil-Pile Structure Interaction
- Numerical Modeling of Large Deformation Problems
- Large-scale Parallel Computations
Principal publications of the last five years
- Yi, J.T., S H Goh*, F H Lee and M. F. Randolph, "A Numerical Study of Cone Penetration Rate Effects". Geotechnique, 62, no. 8 (2012): 707-719. (United Kingdom).
- Yi*, J.T., S H Goh, F H Lee, X Y Zhang and J F Wu, "Eulerian finite element analysis of excess pore pressure generated by spudcan installation into soft clay". Computers and Geotechnics, 42 (2012): 157-170. (United Kingdom).
- Chai*, H Y, K K Phoon, S H Goh and C F Wei, "Some theoretical and numerical observations on scattering of Rayleigh waves in media containing shallow rectangular cavities". Journal of Applied Geophysics, 83 (2012): 107-119. (Netherlands).
- Macpherson*, K, D Hidayat and S H Goh*, "Receiver function structure beneath four seismic stations in the Sumatra Region". Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 46 (2011): 161-176. (United Kingdom).
- Subhadeep*, B, S H Goh and F H Lee, "Response of Clay-Pile System under Earthquake Loading". ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication, 181 (Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics) (2009). (United States).
- Goh*, S H and T.D. O'Rourke, "Soil-Pile Interaction during Liquefaction-Induced Lateral Spread". Journal of Earthquake and Tsunami, 2, no. 1 (2008): 53-85. (Singapore).
- Goh, A.T.C. and S H Goh, "Support Vector Machines: Their Use in Geotechnical Engineering as Illustrated using Seismic Liquefaction Data". Computers and Geotechnics, 34, no. 5 (2007). (United Kingdom).
- Banerjee*, S., S H Goh and F H Lee, "Response of Soft Clay Strata and Clay-Pile-Raft Systems to Seismic Shaking". Journal of Earthquake and Tsunami, 1, no. 3 (2007): 233-255. (Singapore).