Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65)6516 2288
Dr. BAI Wei joined the National University of Singapore as an Assistant Professor in Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in March 2009. From 1992, he studied at Dalian University of Technology, China, and received his Ph.D. there in Port, Coastal and Offshore Engineering in 2001. Following this, he worked as a postdoctoral research fellow at the Chinese Academy of Sciences from 2001 to 2003. Dr. Bai was an academic visitor at Glasgow and Strathclyde Universities from April 2003. In April 2004, he joined the University of Oxford as a postdoctoral research assistant. From January 2007 to February 2009, he was a postdoctoral research associate at Manchester Metropolitan Univesity.
Dr. Bai's research interests conern the Computational Marine Hydrodynamics and Fluid Dynamics, with emphasis on the numerical simulation of wave interaction with offshore and coastal structures.
- Ph.D., Dalian University of Technology, China, 2001
- B.Eng., Dalian University of Technology, China, 1996
- Member of International Ship and Offshore Structures Congress (ISSC)
- Reviewer for journals, such as Ocean Engineering, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids and Journal of Fluids and Structures
- Wave Hydrodynamics & Physical Oceanography
- Coastal Process & Sediment Transport
- Marine Statics & Dynamics
- Numerical Methods in Engineering Mechanics
- Robust high-performance boundary element and finite volume methods
- Free surface water wave interaction with fixed and floating structures
- Complex interface capturing using two-phase fluid model and meshless methods
- Turbulence flow and sediment transport
- Wake induced oscillation and vortex induced vibration
- Marine Hydrodynamics for renewable energy devices
- Teng, B., Chen, L.F., Ning, D.Z. and Bai, W. (2010). Study on the higher harmonic waves over a submerged bar. Proceedings of 25th International Workshop on Water Waves and Floating Bodies (IWWWFB), Harbin, China.
- Bai, W., Mingham, C.G., Causon, D.M. and Qian, L. (2010). Finite volume simulation of viscous free surface waves using the Cartesian cut cell approach. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 63, 69-95.
- Drake, K.R., Eatock Taylor, R., Taylor, P.H., Bai, W. (2009). On the hydrodynamics of bobbing cones. Ocean Engineering, 36, 1270-1277.
- Bai, W. and Eatock Taylor, R. (2009). Fully nonlinear simulation of wave interaction with fixed and floating flared structures. Ocean Engineering, 36, 223-236.
- Eatock Taylor, R., Wu, G.X., Bai, W. and Hu, Z.Z. (2008). Numerical wave tanks based on finite element and boundary element modeling. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, 130, 031001, 1-8.
- Bai, W. and Eatock Taylor, R. (2007). Numerical simulation of fully nonlinear regular and focused wave diffraction around a vertical cylinder using domain decomposition. Applied Ocean Research, 29, 55-71.
- Zang, Z.P., Teng, B., Bai, W. and Cheng, L. (2007). A finite volume solution of wave forces on submarine pipelines. Ocean Engineering, 34, 1955-1964.
- Bai, W. and Eatock Taylor, R. (2006). Higher-order boundary element simulation of fully nonlinear wave radiation by oscillating vertical cylinders. Applied Ocean Research, 28, 247-265.
- Eatock Taylor, R., Zang, J., Bai, W. and Walker, D.A.G. (2006). Transients in wave diffraction by cylinders and cylinder arrays. Proceedings of 21st International Workshop on Water Waves and Floating Bodies (IWWWFB), Loughborough, UK.
- Gao, Z., Dai, M.G., Li, G.B. and Bai, W. (2005). Perturbational finite volume method for the solution of 2-D Navier-Stokes equations on unstructured and structured colocated meshes. Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 26(2), 242-251.
- Bai, W. and Huang, S. (2004). Mean wake flow and wake shielding effects of marine riser clusters. Proceedings of 14th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference (ISOPE), Toulon, France, 544-550.
- Bai, W. and E, X.Q. (2004). Flows past a rotating circular cylinder by FVM based on unstructured meshes (In Chinese). ACTA Mechanica Sinica, 36(4), 466-471.
- Gao, Z. and Bai, W. (2004). Perturbational finite volume method for convective diffusion equation and discussion (In Chinese). ACTA Mechanica Sinica, 36(1), 88-93.
- Bai, W. and E, X.Q. (2003). Implement of SIMPLE algorithm based on unstructured colocated meshes (In Chinese). Chinese Journal of Computational Mechanics, 20(6), 702-710.
- Jian, Y.J., E, X.Q. and Bai, W. (2003). Nonlinear Faraday waves in a parametrically excited circular cylindrical container. Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 24(10), 1194-1207.
- Teng, B., Bai, W. and Dong, G.H. (2002). Simulation of second-order radiation of 3D bodies in time domain by a B-spline method. Proceedings of 12th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference (ISOPE), Kitakyushu, Japan, 487-493.
- Bai, W. and Teng, B. (2001). Second-order wave diffraction around 3-D bodies by a time-domain method. China Ocean Engineering, 15(1), 73-84.
- Teng, B., Zhao, M. and Bai, W. (2000). Wave diffraction in a current over a local shoal. Coastal Engineering, 42, 163-172.
- Bai, W., Teng, B. and Qiu, D.H. (2000). A B-spline based BEM for fluid velocity and second-order drift force (In Chinese). ACTA Oceanologica SINICA, 22(supplement), 323-330.
- Teng, B., Bai, W. and Xiang, Y. (1999). A B-spline based BEM and its application in predicting wave forces on 3D bodies. China Ocean Engineering, 13(3), 257-264.