Frequently Asked Questions

On Admission

How many intakes are there in a year?
  • There is only one intake per year, in August.

    How long is the programme?
  • It is a two-year full time programme. Students may take a maximum of three years (6 semesters) to complete the programme.

    Do I need to send separate applications to National University of Singapore and Delft University of Technology?
  • All applications should be submitted to the National University of Singapore (Graduate Studies Office); however, the selection process is done jointly with Delft University of Technology. Once the students have been successfully selected, separate offers will be sent to the candidates by NUS and TUD to enable registration at both universities. Successful applicants will then be required to submit TUD online application.

    Do I need to take TOEFL/IELTS or GRE?
  • Internet-based TOEFL score of 92 with sub-score of 21 each / IELTS score of 6.5 with sub-score of 6.0 each is required for students who are not nationals of the USA, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
  • Note that NUS students who are not nationals of the above countries are also required to take TOEFL/IELTS.

  • There is no requirement to take GRE for this Double Degree Programme.

    Is there an application fee to be paid for the programme?
  • Yes, applicants are required to pay an application fee of S$40 (inclusive of 7% GST) or S$20 for online application.

    On Candidature

    Can I spend three semesters instead of two semesters in a particular institution?
  • DDP students are expected to spend two semesters at each institution with the first semester at NUS and the second semester at TUD. Extended period at either institution may be granted on a case-by-case basis. Note that NUS requires minimum residency of 50% of the required modular credits in order to graduate. This implies 50% of tuition fees and study at NUS. Also note that TUD tuition fees remain payable for the extra time spent at TUD.

    What is the curriculum structure like?
  • Click here to see the breakdown of the workload

  • Because NUS and TUD use different grading systems, students will receive two grades for the core requirements.

  • The differences in the coursework are because NUS students have taken longer duration and extra coursework during the NUS B.Sc programme.

    What happens if I can’t complete the requirements?
  • If a student does not meet one of the NUS graduation requirements, the student can qualify for a TUD degree provided that he/she satisfies TUD graduation requirements. Similarly, if a student does not meet one of the TUD graduation requirements, the student can qualify for an NUS degree provided that he/she satisfies NUS graduation requirements.

    On Living in Singapore and Netherlands

    I’m an international student. How do I obtain relevant student’s visa?

    National University of Singapore
  • For incoming international students to Singapore, NUS will apply for a Student’s Pass Application Number on your behalf once you are offered admission to NUS. You will then be informed of this Application Number to access the Singapore’s Immigration and Checkpoints Authority [ICA] web-based Student’s Pass Online Application and Registration [SOLAR] system to verify the accuracy of your information and submit eForm 16 online as part of your Student's Pass application procedure. Please ensure that you read and follow the instructions carefully in the SOLAR system before you proceed to verify your details in eForm 16. ICA will review and process your student pass application once you have submitted the eForm 16. More information on student pass application can be viewed here.

  • Once the Student's Pass application has been approved, you will receive an In-Principle Approval [IPA] letter, which will be given to you during the registration exercise at NUS. If you are from a visa-required country, your IPA letter will be mailed to your address (as provided in your application) as it will serve as a single-trip entry visa when you arrive in Singapore.

  • Please note that candidates without the IPA will not be granted the Student’s Pass later. After your registration, your IPA letter will be stamped with the required period before you proceed to convert your social visit pass into a Student’s Pass.

  • All incoming international students who are applying for Student’s Pass for 6 months and above are required to do a medical examination (details will be provided in your offer package).

  • Please note that your offer of admission is conditional upon your successful application of your Student's Pass.

    Delft University of Technology (TUD)
  • DDP student’s visa application to The Netherlands will be handled by the International Office of TUD. Students will receive invitation to apply for the accommodation and student visa sometime in end of October or early in November. When the visa has been approved, you will be notified by the international office to pick up your travel visa at the embassy, in the country where you apply for the visa. Once you have been registered at TUD and at the town hall in January (for the second semester at TUD), your travel visa will be changed into a student visa for the rest of the year.

  • For Chinese nationals, please note that you will be required to obtain a NESO certificate in support of The Netherlands visa. For more information about how to apply for the NESO certificate, please refer to this website at

    What is the estimated cost of living in Singapore and Netherlands?
  • Click here to view estimated expenses based on AY2013/2014 intake.

  • In addition, you will need approximately €1,500 to cover initial settling-in expenses. This amount does not include tuition fees and other study related costs.

    How do I find accommodation in Singapore and Netherlands?

  • For Singapore, graduate students may apply for Graduate residency at the University Town starting from AY2011/2012: Do note that room allocation is strictly by ballot, not first-come-first-served.

  • Coursework students receive 2nd priority after research students. This double degree programme is coursework-based.

  • Please pay attention to the housing application deadlines and fees involved.

  • The International office staff in the Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences will assist the students to find accommodation via the housing agency, DUWO. For more information on DUWO housing, please refer to this website at

  • The accommodation opens from February 1st until July 31st. Since students will arrive at the end of January to take exams in Delft, TUD will assist in finding housing for the period before the accommodation opens.

  • Students with visas must already confirm accommodation before they arrive in Delft. The accommodation address is needed to obtain the visa.

  • TU Delft provides housing only for students who study at TU Delft. Students travelling with family members must arrange accommodation for their family members separately.

    Do I need to have a medical insurance plan whilst studying in NUS or TUD?

    National University of Singapore
  • Every international student must take up the compulsory NUS Group Medical Insurance Scheme. The fee is S$58.85 for each semester. Click here for details of the scheme. Please note that not all health services are covered by the scheme. University Health Centre is located on campus and provides consultation services to students. Please refer to this website for consultation fees,

    Delft University of Technology (TUD)
  • Dutch law requires everyone living in the Netherlands to have adequate health insurance. Since it is impossible to establish the extent of cover of health insurance policies from non-European countries, students need to be insured in The Netherlands. For more information regarding the insurance, please refer to the following website: Insurance Passport for Students.

    How do I get around Singapore with public transportation?
  • Buses and MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) are common and very convenient.
  • Singapore map with public transport information
  • SMRT buses
  • SBS buses
  • MRT network map.
  • Buses going to NUS Kent Ridge campus are:
    SBS no. 10 SBS no. 33 SBS no. 95 SBS no. 96
    SBS no. 97 SBS no. 151 SBS no. 200
    SMRT no. 183 SMRT no. 188 SMRT no. 189
    Free internal shuttle buses are available within Kent Ridge Campus
  • Note the bus stops within the campus