Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65)6516 2279
Dr ONG Ghim Ping Raymond is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the National University of Singapore (NUS). He graduated with a B.Eng (Civil) (First Class Honours) with a minor in Business from the National University of Singapore in 2003 and obtained his PhD in Civil Engineering from the National University of Singapore in 2007. Prior to his current appointment, he worked as a postdoctoral research associate in the School of Civil Engineering at Purdue University from 2007 to 2008, a visiting assistant professor in the same university in 2009 and then a lecturer at Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the National University of Singapore from 2010 to 2014.
Dr Ong’s research interests include: pavement engineering and management, international transportation, and multimodal transport infrastructures and systems. He has authored or co-authored over 45 peer-reviewed journal articles as well as over 70 international conference papers in these research areas.
Dr. Ong is currently serving in various scientific committees in the Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, the American Society of Civil Engineers and the America Society of Testing and Materials. He has received several scientific awards in recognition to his achievements in transportation research, including the Alfred Noble Prize (ASCE), the Hanjin Prize (IAME) and the Takeuchi Yoshio Award (OCDI).
- 2014-present. Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, National University of Singapore.
- 2010-2014. Lecturer, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, National University of Singapore.
- 2009-2010. Visiting Assistant Professor, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University.
- 2007-2008. Postdoctoral Research Associate, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University.
- B.Eng (Civil) (First Class Honours) with minor in Business, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 2003.
- PhD, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 2007.
Student Research Award (supervised by Dr Ong)
- Vice Chair (Transport Planning), Technical Committee on Transport Planning, Economics and Finance, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Transportation and Development Institute (T&DI).
- Topic Group Chief (Highways and Pavements), Eastern Asian Society for Transportation Studies (EASTS).
- Committee Member (2010-present), D04 Road and Paving Materials Committee, American Society for Testing and Materials.
- Committee Member (2010-present), E17 Vehicle-Pavement Interaction Committee, American Society for Testing and Materials.
- Committee Member (2009-2021), AV070 Airport/Aircraft Compatibility Committee, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies.
- Committee Member (2013-2020), AT020 International Trade and Transportation Committee, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies.
- Chair (2010-2015), Multimodal Transport Infrastructure Management Standing Committee, International Society of Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Transport Infrastructures (iSMARTi).
- Committee Member (2009-2018), AFD90 Surface Properties-Vehicle Interaction Committee, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies.
- Honorary General Secretary (2011-present), Pavement Engineering Society, Singapore.
- Deputy Chair (2017-present), Transportation Engineering Sub-Committee, Civil and Structural Engineering Technical Committee, Institution of Engineers Singapore.
- Deputy Chair (2018-present), Transportation Systems Sub-Committee, Railway and Transportation Technical Committee, Institution of Engineers Singapore.
- Technical Assessor (2011-present), Singapore Accreditation Council.
- Transportation engineering
- Pavement design and rehabilitation
- Design of land transport infrastructures
- Analysis and design of civil engineering experiments
- Pavement engineering and management
- Multimodal transport infrastructures and systems (planning, design, operations and management)
Recent Articles in Journals
- Hua, W. and Ong, G. P. “Evaluating Effect of Information Contagion during Train Service Disruption for an Integrated Rail-Bus Transit System”, Public Transport. (revision)
- Jagadeesh, A., Ong, G. P. and Su, Y. M. “Development of a Discharge-Based Thresholding Algorithm for Pervious Concrete Mixtures”, ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. (revision)
- Cai, Y., Wang H., Ong, G. P., Meng, Q. and Lee, D. H. “Investigating User Perception on Autonomous Vehicle-Based Mobility-on-Demand Services in Singapore Using the Logit Kernel Approach”, Transportation Research Record. (revision)
- Wang, H., Zhao, D., Meng, Q., Ong, G. P. and Lee, D-H. “A Four-Step Method for Electric-Vehicle Charging Facility Deployment in a Dense City: An Empirical Study in Singapore”, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice. (revision)
- Zhao, D., Wang, W., Ong, G. P. and Ji, Y. (2018) “An Association Rule Based Method to Integrate Metro-Public Bicycle Smart Card Data for Trip Chain Analysis”, Journal of Advanced Transportation, 2018, Article ID 4047682, 11 pages, doi: 10.1155/2018/4047682.
- Farhan, J. and Ong, G. P. (2018) “Forecasting Seasonal Container Throughput at International ports using SARIMA Models”, Maritime Economics and Logistics, 20(1), 131-148.
- Hua, W. and Ong, G. P. (2017) “Network Survivability and Recoverability in Urban Rail Transit Systems under Disruption”, IET Intelligent Transportation Systems, 11(10), 641-648.
- Sou, W. S. and Ong, G. P. (2016) “Forecasting Global Maritime Container Demand Using Integrated Trade-Commodity Flow Modeling Framework”, Transportation Research Record, 2549, 64-77
- Zhang, L., Fwa, T. F., Ong, G. P. and Chu, L. (2016) “Analysing Effect of Roadway Width on Skid Resistance of Porous Pavement”, Road Materials and Pavement Design, 17(1), 1-14.
- Pasindu, H.R., Fwa, T. F. and Ong, G. P. (2016) “Analytical Evaluation of Aircraft Operational Risks from Runway Rutting”, International Journal of Pavement Engineering, 17(9), 810-817.
Recent Conference Papers
- Leong, J. Y. and Ong, G. P. (2018) "Sun-to-Heel Concept for Life Cycle Assessment of Future Transport Technologies", 11th Asia Pacific Conference on Transportation and Environment, 18-20 October 2018, Malang, Indonesia.
- Jagadeesh, A., Ong, G. P. and Su, Y. M. (2018) “Evaluation of Pervious Concrete Pore Structure Properties using X-Ray Computed Tomography”, 11th Asia Pacific Conference on Transportation and Environment, 18-20 October 2018, Malang, Indonesia.
- Jagadeesh, A., Ong, G. P. and Su, Y. M. (2018) “Porosity Evaluation of Pervious Concrete using Three Dimensional X-Ray Computed Tomography”, 4th International Conference on Transportation Infrastructure (ICTI 2018), 9-10 July 2018, Pretoria, South Africa.
- Liu, J., Liu P. and Ong, G.P. (2018) “Dynamic Traffic Equilibrium and Optimal Allocation of Improved Investment on a Bi-modal Corridor”, 2018 World Transport Convention, 18-21 June 2018, Beijing, China.
- Liu, P., Liu Y. and Ong, G. P. (2018) “Dynamic User Equilibrium Departure Time and Mode Choices in a Bi-Modal Corridor with Risk-adverse Travelers”, 6th International Symposium on Reliability Engineering and Management, 31 May-1 June 2018, Singapore.
- Jagadeesh, A., and Ong, G. P. (2017) “Frictional and Acoustic Design of Porous Pavements using Numerical Modelling”, 30th KKHTCNN Symposium on Civil Engineering, 2-4 November 2017, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Ong, G. P. and Zhao, D. (2017) “Strategies for the Creation of Bicycling Sharing Friendly Environment: Case Study of Singapore”, 8th International Symposium on Travel Demand Management, 26-29 September 2017, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Hua, W. and Ong, G. P. (2016) “A Preliminary Study on Modeling Disruptions on Urban Rail Transit Network”, 10th Asia Pacific Conference on Transport and the Environment, 8-10 November 2016, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.
- Hua, W. and Ong, G. P. (2016) “Network Resilience and Recoverability in Urban Rapid Transit Systems during Disruption”, ITS World Congress 2016, 10-14 October 2016, Melbourne, Australia.
- Ong, G. P. (2016) “Development of a Multimodal Microscopic Traffic Simulation Model for Land Border Operations in Singapore”, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Transportation and Logistics, 7-9 September 2016, Hsinchu, Taiwan.