Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65)6516 4127
Dr LOW Ying Min is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. His research area is in offshore engineering, with particular focus on stochastic dynamic analysis of moorings and risers. He is a member of the editorial board for the journals, Marine Structures, and Ocean Engineering. He is also in the technical committees of ISSC and the annual OMAE conference. Within the department, he is the programme manager of MSc Offshore Technology.
- 2018 – present Associate Professor, National University of Singapore
- 2014 – 2018 Assistant Professor, National University of Singapore
- 2007 – 2013 Assistant Professor, Nanyang Technological University
- 2002 – 2003 Senior Engineer, Keppel FELS Ltd
- 2000 – 2002 Research Engineer, Institute of High Performance Computing
- PhD, University of Cambridge, 2007
- MEng (with first class honours), Imperial College, London, 2000
- 2017 – present Editorial board member, Ocean Engineering
- 2015 – present Editorial board member, Marine Structures
- 2011 – present Organizing committee, annual OMAE conference, “Structures, Safety and Reliability symposium
- 2012 – present Technical committee, International Ship and Offshore Structures Congress (ISSC) – V.8 Subsea systems
- Reviewer for journals, including Ocean Engineering, Applied Ocean Research, Marine Structures, Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, Engineering Structures, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Journal of Fluids and Structures, Structural Safety, Reliability Engineering and System Safety
- Design of Floating Structures
- Moorings and risers
- Structural stability and dynamics
- Marine statics and dynamics
- Engineering and uncertainty analysis
- Wave Hydrodynamics
- Wei H., Xiao L., Tian X., Low Y.M. (2018). Nonlinear Coupling and Instability of Heave, Roll and Pitch Motions of Semi-submersibles with Bracings. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 83, 171-193.
- Yang J., Low Y.M., Lee C.H. and Chiew Y.M. (2018). Numerical simulation of scour around a submarine pipeline using computational fluid dynamics and discrete element method. Applied Mathematical Modelling, 55, 400-416.
- Low Y.M. and Huang X. (2017). Long-term extreme response analysis of offshore structures by combining importance sampling with subset simulation. Structural Safety, 69, 79-95.
- Hsieh S.C., Low Y.M. and Chiew Y.M. (2017). Flow characteristics around a circular cylinder undergoing vortex-induced vibration in the initial branch. Ocean Engineering, 129, 265-278.
- Low Y.M. (2016). A variance reduction technique for long-term fatigue analysis of offshore structures using Monte Carlo simulation. Engineering Structures. 128, 283-295.
- Hsieh S.C., Low Y.M. and Chiew Y.M. (2016). Flow characteristics around a circular cylinder subjected to vortex-induced vibration near a plane boundary. Journal of Fluids and Structures, 65, 257-277.
- Lee C.H., Low Y.M. and Chiew Y.M. (2016). Multi-dimensional rheology-based two-phase model for sediment transport and applications to sheet flow and pipeline scour. Physics of Fluids, 28(5), 053305
- Gao Y. and Low Y.M. (2016). An efficient importance sampling method for long-term fatigue assessment of deepwater risers with time domain analysis. Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, 45, 102-114.
- Low Y.M. (2016). Importance sampling technique for simulating time histories for efficient rainflow fatigue analysis, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 142(4), 04016006.
- Low Y.M. and Srinil N. (2016). VIV fatigue reliability analysis of marine risers with uncertainties in the wake oscillator model. Engineering Structures, 106, 96-108.
- Wang K. and Low Y.M. (2016). A simple parametric formulation for the seabed trench profile beneath a steel catenary riser. Marine Structures, 45, 22-42.
- Low Y.M. (2014). A simple surrogate model for the rainflow fatigue damage arising from processes with bimodal spectra. Marine Structures, 38, 72-88.
- Low Y.M. (2014). Uncertainty of the fatigue damage arising from a stochastic process with multiple frequency modes. Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, 36, 8-18.
- He J.W. and Low Y.M. (2014). A collision-allowed approach for probabilistic assessment of riser interference. Ocean Engineering, 76, 21-31.
- Li F.Z. and Low Y.M. (2014). Influence of low frequency vessel motions on the fatigue response of steel catenary risers at the touchdown point. Ships and Offshore Structures, 9(2), 134-148.
- He J.W. and Low Y.M. (2013). Predicting the probability of riser collision under stochastic excitation and multiple uncertainties. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, 135(3), 031602-1-9.
- Li B., Huang Z.H., Low Y.M., Ou J. (2013). Experimental and numerical study of the effects of heave plate on the motion of a new deep draft multi-spar platform. Journal of Marine Science and Technology - Japan, 18(2), 229-246.
- Li F.Z., Dwivedi A., Low Y.M., Hong J.H. and Chiew Y.M. (2013). Experimental investigation on scour under a vibrating catenary riser. ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 139(7), 868-878.
- Low Y.M. (2013). A new distribution for fitting four moments and its applications to reliability analysis. Structural Safety, 42, 12-25.
- Low Y.M. (2012). An analytical formulation for the fatigue damage skewness relating to a narrowband process. Structural Safety, 35, 18-28.
- Low Y.M. (2012). Variance of the fatigue damage due to a Gaussian narrowband process. Structural Safety, 34(1), 381-389.
- Low Y.M. and Cheung S.H. (2012). On the long-term fatigue assessment of mooring and riser systems. Ocean Engineering, 53, 60-71.
- Li F.Z. and Low Y.M. (2012). Fatigue reliability analysis of a steel catenary riser at the touchdown point incorporating soil model uncertainties. Applied Ocean Research, 38, 100-110.
- He J.W. and Low Y.M. (2012). An approach for estimating the probability of collision between marine risers. Applied Ocean Research, 35, 68-76.
- Tong D.J., Low Y.M. and Sheehan J.M. (2011). Nonlinear bend stiffener analysis using a simple formulation and finite element method. China Ocean Engineering, 25(4), 577-590.
- Low Y.M. and Grime A.J. (2011). Extreme response analysis of floating structures using coupled frequency domain analysis. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, 133(3), 031601-1-8.
- Low Y.M. (2011). Extreme value analysis of bimodal Gaussian processes. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 330(14), 3458-3472.
- Low Y.M. (2011). Extending a time/frequency domain hybrid method for riser fatigue analysis. Applied Ocean Research, 33(2), 79-87.
- Low Y.M. (2011). An algorithm for accurate evaluation of the fatigue damage due to multimodal and broadband processes. Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, 26(3), 435-446.
- Low Y.M. (2010). A practical formulation for estimating the extreme vector excursion of a floating structure. Ocean Engineering, 37(13), 1159-1168.
- Low Y.M. (2010). Influence of the setdown of a tension leg platform on the extreme airgap response. Applied Ocean Research, 32(1), 11-19.
- Low Y.M. (2010). A method for accurate estimation of the fatigue damage induced by bimodal processes. Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics. 25(1), 75-85.
- Low Y.M. (2009). Efficient vector outcrossing analysis of the excursion of a moored vessel. Probabilistic Engineering Mechanics, 24(4), 565-576.
- Low Y.M. (2009). Frequency domain analysis of a tension leg platform with statistical linearization of the tendon restoring forces. Marine Structures. 22(3), 480-503.
- Low Y.M. (2008). Prediction of extreme responses of floating structures using a hybrid time/frequency domain coupled analysis approach. Ocean Engineering, 35(14-15),1416-1428.
- Low Y.M and Langley R.S. (2008). Understanding the dynamic coupling effects in deepwater floating structures using a simplified model. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, 130(3), 031007-1-10.
- Low Y.M. and Langley R.S. (2008). A hybrid time/frequency domain approach for efficient coupled analysis of vessel/mooring/riser dynamics. Ocean Engineering, 35(5-6), 433-446.
- Low Y.M. and Langley R.S. (2006). Time and frequency domain coupled analysis of deepwater floating production systems. Applied Ocean Research, 28(6), 371-385.
- Chryssanthopoulos M.K. and Low Y.M. (2001). A method for predicting the flexural response of tubular members with non-linear stress-strain characteristics. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 57(11), 1197-1216.