Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65)6516 2154
Jat-Yuen Richard Liew, PhD, PEng, CEng, ACPE, FSEng, is Professor of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, National University of Singapore. He is a Professional Engineer in Singapore, a Chartered Engineer in U.K, a Chartered Professional Engineer of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, and Past President of the Singapore Structural Steel Society and a fellow of academy of Engineering Singapore.
He received his B.Eng (First Class) and MEng from the National University of Singapore and PhD from Purdue University where his research on advanced analysis for frame design has influenced recent steel structural design codes and specifications. Dr Liew’s main research focus is on steel and composite materials and structures with applications to high rise and large span structural systems covering defence, offshore, and building sectors. Hs research has garnered more than 2669 cites (h-index 30) in Google scholar.
Dr Liew serves in the editorial board of the 10 journals. He has authored and co-authored more than 400 scientific papers, including 5 books, 13 edited books and 15 book chapters. He has delivered about 50 keynote and invited lectures in 22 cities around the world in topics related to design and construction of steel structures. He received numerous teaching awards and was placed in the Teaching Honour Roll in 2008.
Dr Liew was appointed as a honorary professor and the Academy of Engineer of the Nanjing Tech University, China in April 2015. He was conferred the "Honorary Fellow" by the Singapore Structural Steel Society in 2010 and by the Hong Kong Institute of Steel Construction in 2011 because of his leadership roles in structural steel professional and business communities in Singapore and Hong Kong. He was one of the code writers and international advisors for the Hong Kong’s structural steel codes. He is the key person responsible for developing the Singapore national annexes for Eurocodes 3 and 4, the latest codes of practice for design steel and composite structures in Singapore. He is a member of the Singapore Specification committee on steel building products, advisory committee on the Hong Kong Code of Practice of Steel Structures, IABSE Working Commission 2 on Steel, Timber and Composite Structures, technical committee for Singapore performance based fire engineering design, Member of IStructE, Fire Engineering Task Group, London, and International Structural Steel Research Advisors (ISSRA) of the American Institute of Steel Construction. He chairs numerous international and national conferences, workshops and seminars including committees related to standards and specifications of steel and composite structures. He was invited as an honourable judge to select entries for structural excellent awards by the Hong Kong Institute of Engineers, Singapore Structural Steel Society and Singapore Building Construction Authority.
He has secured more than 15 million external grants to fund his research work. His work on metal-cementitious composite structures has made deep impact to the development of tall buildings, offshore systems and protective structures. The efforts of his work focus on the investigation into and development of sustainable metal-composite materials and technologies including ultra-lightweight and high strength composite structural systems subjected to extreme loads. These investigations have ranged from technologies for prefabrication production of composite and hybrid structures for high-rise and large span systems at one extreme to design for fire hazards, impact and blast loadings for structures in offshore and defence related industries at the other end of the spectrum. He provides technical advice to steelwork contractors, consultants and the wider construction industry on a broad range of topics including design and construction of large span structures and tall buildings. Arising from his research work, he has filed several patents including 3-in-1 scaffold coupler, deployable cable-strut system, J-hook shear connector for sandwich construction and water tank energy façade system. His research team has developed an ultra-lightweight floating concrete that have a structural compressive strength of more than 50MPa. This is a major breakthrough in research in cementitous composite materials for offshore and marine application. The research team also made another breakthrough in the development of ultra high strength concrete of 200MPa compressive strength which can be used for high rise construction.
Dr. Liew represents the Singapore’s constructional steel industry and engineering professions on a number of national and government committees. He is an independent director of two public listed companies serving as a member of the audit committee and chairman of the nomination and numeration committees. He interacts closely with the industry in the Asia Pacific region serving as an expert and technical advisor and has been involved in numerous iconic steel projects. Some of the recent award winning projects that he has involved include One Raffles place, Flower Dome and Cloud Forrest Biome at Gardens by the Bay. He has seen his R&D outcome brought from the laboratory to full-scale applications. The latter would include the deployable cable-strut systems (IP Patents), performance-based fire engineering method (guides for performance-based fire safety design). His designs have been applied in some 20 full-scale installations for airport structures, high-rise buildings, large-span structures and special cool-thermal wall for clean tech building.
He has nurtured a team of research fellows and research engineers who can act as co-investigators to conduct research on multi-disciplinary themes. He has wide contact with industry leaders and able to attract external funding to continue to fund his research group in view of robust growth in offshore oil and gas industry and construction industry. His recent projects with Ministry of Home Affair, Yongnam Engineering and Construction and Jurong Town Corporation on energy storage water facade system is another innovative project that combines energy sustainability and protective technology for practical application in response to the need of building owners and developers.
- B.Eng (First Class), 1986, National University of Singapore, Singapore
- M.Eng, 1988, National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Ph.D, 1992, Purdue University, West Lafayette, USA
- Professional Engineer (PE), Singapore
- Chartered Engineer (CEng), UK
- ASEAN Chartered Professional Engineer
- Certified Structural Steel Engineer, Singapore
- Fellow, Academic of Engineers Singapore, 2012
- Honorary professor, Nanjing Tech University, 2015
- Member of FoE P&T Committee
- Member of FoE Engineering lecture series Committee
- Chairman, CEE Industrial alliance Committee &Industrial attachment programme
- Member, CEE Task force to recommend a framework for nominating best teachers
- “Design and construction of unusual steel structures – how an architect’s dream was fulfilled” CEE NUS Public Lecture, 7 November 2014, LT7A, Faculty of Engineering, National University of Singapore
- “Economical use of high strength materials for steel and composite structures based on Eurocodes”, WASS2014 Seminar on Advancing the Use of Steel Structures for High-rise Building in Singapore, 29 October 2014, MAX Atria @ Singapore EXPO.
- “Steel-the preferred choice for spectacular structures” (Keynote lecture), SteelFuture, SAISC Conference, South African Institution of Steel Construction, Sandton, South Africa, 5&6 March 2013.
- “Design and construction of composite steel concrete composite buildings with high strength materials”, J Y Richard Liew, D X Xiong and M X Xiong, (keynote paper) Proceedings of Symposium on trend and development in the structural use of steel and metals, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering (Hong Kong Branch) & Hong Kong Institute of Steel Construction, Chiang Chen Studio Theatre, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 22 February 2013, 1-19.
- “ Construction of Iconic steel structures”, (keynote lecture) International Workshop on advancing the use of Steel Structures for tall buildings, 10-11 May 2012, Suntec City, WASS, Nippon Steel Singapore.
- “Recent iconic structures in Singapore”, International conference on civil & environmental engineering for sustainability, (keynote lecture) Johor Bahru, Malaysia, 3-5 April 2012.
- “Design of concrete filled steel tubes with high strength materials”, R Liew, D X Xiong & X Yu, Plenary paper in Proceedings of the CTBUH 9th World Congress, Eds: Anthony Wood, Timothy Johnson & G Q Li, Council of Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, Grand Hyatt, Shanghai, 19-21 September 2013, 280-287.
- Liew*, J Y R and C MA, "novel deployable protective structures” 11 International conference on steel, space and composite structures, (keynote paper) Eds. Li G Q, Wang L, Shao Y B and Chiew S P (2012): 77-92. Singapore: CI-Premier Pte Ltd., 11th International conference on steel, space and composite structures, 12-14 Dec 2012,Qingdao, China
- “Further investigation on composite columns with high strength steel and ultra-high strength concrete” (Keynote paper), 7th International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures (ICASS 2012), Apr. 06-08, 2012, Nanjing, China.
- “Development of Ultra High Strength Materials for High-Rise Construction”, 2011 CTBUH China, (Keynote lecture), Workshop, May 16, 2011, Shanghai, China
- “Steel-Concrete Composite Technology using Ultra-high Strength and Lightweight Materials”, Keynote lecture, Third International Symposium on Innovative Design of Steel Structures Jointly organized by Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Hong Kong and Department of Civil & Structural Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 30 June 2011, Hong Kong.
- “Design of Steel-concrete Composite Structures with Ultra-high Strength and Lightweight Concrete”, (Keynote paper), 21st Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials ACMSM 21, Melbourne, 7th – 10th December 2010.
- “Ultr-high strength concrete filled columns for high-rise buildings”, (Keynote paper) 4th International Conference on Steel & Composite Structures, Wednesday 21 – Friday 23 July 2010, Sydney Australia.
- “Design and Construction of Iconic Structures” Pacific Structural Steel Conference, (keynote paper), Beijing China, 19-22 October 2010.
- “Technical Requirements for Reusable Steel Strutting for Deep Excavation”, (keynote lecture), SSSS-BCAA Seminar 2010, Recent Developments on Reusable Steel Strutting for Deep Excavation Support Works, 5 Mar 2010, BCA Academy Function Hall.
- “Essence of Engineering: Teaching beyond Science and Maths”, (Keynote lecture) Science Teachers Conference 2010: Science Education for Learners of Tomorrow 23-24 Nov 2010, Science Centre Singapore.
- “Development of High Strength Materials and Water Façade System for Sustainable Tall Buildings” (keynote lecture), Tall Building Asia, 30-31 August 2010, Singapore.
- “Novel Deployable Structural Systems”, (Keynote paper) Sixth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures 2009, 16-18 December 2009 Hong Kong, China
- “Novel Steel-Concrete-Steel Sandwich Composite Structures for Resisting Impact and Blast Load”, (keynote lecture), The 3rd International Forum on Advances in Structural Engineering, 13 November 2009, Shanghai, China.
- "Butterfly-wing deployable membrane systems", keynote paper, 9th International Conference on Steel space & composite structures, 10-12 October 2007, Yantai and 14-15 October, Beijing, China.
- "Survivability of frame structures subject to explosion and fires", keynote lecture/paper, International colloquium on stability and ductility of steel structures SDSS 06, 6-8 September 2006, Lisbon, Portugal.
- "Design Criteria for Buildability of Multistory Buildings and Large Span Structures", Keynote lecture, IABSE Symposium on Metropolitan Habitats and Infrastructure, 22-24 September 2004, Shanghai, China
- "Performance-based fire safety design of structures- a multi-dimensional integration", Keynote lecture, Fire and Emergency Service Asia: FESA 2005, Singapore Civil Defense Force, Feb 22-26, 2005 Singapore.
- "Deployable Cable-Strut Systems for Spatial Structures" Keynote lecture, 2nd International Conference on Steel & Composite Structures (ICSCS'04), Seoul, Korea, 2-4 September 2004
- "Structural Steel- The Preferred Choice for Buildability", Planetary Paper, 7 th Pacific Structural Steel Conference (PSSC), Long Beach, USA 22-24 March 2004
- "Design and Constructability of Multistorey Steel Buildings and Space Frame Structures " , Keynote Paper & Lecture presented at the 7th International Conference on steel and space structures, 2 - 4 October, 2002 – Singapore
- "Buildable Design of Steel & Composite Multi-storey Building ", Keynote Lecture, 6th Asia Pacific Structural Steel Conference, Beijing , China , 15-17 October 2001.
- "Advanced inelastic analysis of frame structures", Keynote paper, 6th International Colloquium on Stability & ductility of steel structures, "Politechnica" University of Timisoara , Romania , 9-11 September 1999.
- “Design by direct second order analysis, Seminar on Actions and Effects of Actions on Buildings in Structural Eurocodes. Tuesday, 19 November 2013 Nanyang Technological University.
- “Applications of steel Eurocodes in Singapore”, ASCE –Singapore Section– EuroCode Seminar “Steel and Composite Construction EuroCode in Singapore” 27 November 2013, NTU@One-North Executive Centre, Lecture Theatre 3-01.
- “High Strength materials for tall building design and construction”, (Invited lecture), First China-Japan-Korea Tall Building Forum, Shanghai, Tongji University, 18 July 2014.
- “Flower dome and cloud forest conservatories @ Gardens by the Bay Singapore”, HKIE/IStructE Joint Structural Division Annual Seminar 2013, Contemporary Iconic Structures, 19 June 2013, Jockey Club Auditorium, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Design and Construction of Complex and Unusual structures, HKIE/IStructE Joint Structural Division Annual Seminar 2012, Contemporary Design Approaches and New Technologies in Structural Engineering Tuesday, 12 June 2012, Jockey Club Auditorium, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- "Advanced analysis of building frames against blast and fire" Invited Paper by J Y R Liew and Y Hang, 3rd International Conference on Steel and Composite Structures, 30 Jul 1 Aug 2007, The University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
- "Innovation in Composite Construction Using High Strength Materials "Second International Symposium on Advances in Steel and Composite Structures 20 July 2007, Hong Kong.
- "Sustainable steel construction", Invited lecture, National Seminar "Steel Development and Its Impact on Environmental Issues, 23 June 2007, Semarang, Indonesia.
- "Key issues related to collapse of structures ". Invited paper and lecture, IES Seminar - 27 July '07, Moving Beyond Nicoll Highway Incident, Singapore.
- Building Construction Authority on "Forensic Engineering", Singapore, 8 Feb 2007.
- "Forensic Investigation Process and Techniques", Invited lecture/paper, Symposium on advances in fire tests and codes, Guangzhou, China, 3-4 November 2006.
- "Numerical Modelling of Steel Frame Structures Subject to Blast and Fire", Invited paper/lecture, Fourth International Symposium on Steel Structures ISSS’06, Seoul, Korea. November 16-18, 2006
- "Fire engineering design of steel and composite structures", Invited lecture and paper, International symposium on worldwide trend and development in codified design of steel structures, Singapore, 2-3 October 2006, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 5-6 October 2006.
- "Novel Sandwich Composite Structures", Invited lecture/paper, International symposium on advances in steel and composite structures, 19 May 2006, Singapore
- "Advanced Fire Engineering Design of Steel and Composite Structures", Invited lecture/paper, 2nd International Symposium on Worldwide Codified Design and Technology in Steel Structures 2005 (WCDTS '05), Hong Kong, China, 17-18 June 2005.
- "Novel Sandwich Structures", Invited lecture, International Symposium on Advances in Steel and Composite Structures 2005, Hong Kong, China, 2 December 2005
- "Direct Analysis of Steel and Composite Structures Considering the Effects of Fire", Invited paper/lecture, 4th International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures 2005 (ICASS '05), Shanghai, China, 13-15 June 2005
- "Advanced Analysis for the Design of Steel Structures in Fire", invited lecture, 3rd International Symposium on Steel Structures (ISSS '05), Seoul, Korea, 10-11 March 2005.
- Liew J Y R, "Advanced fire engineering design of steel and composite structures", Invited Lecture, 2nd World Codified Design & Technology in Steel Structures, 17-18 June 2005, Hong Kong.
- Liew, J Y R, "Novel deployable spatial structures", Invited Paper, International Symposium on Cold Formed Structures, Hong Kong, Poly. U., HK SAR, 10 Dec, 2004.
- "Performance-based Fire Engineering Design of Steel Structures", Invited paper, International Seminar on Worldwide Codified Design & Technology in Steel Structures, Organized by Hong Kong Institute of Steel Construction (HKISC), and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 9-10 Feburary 2004, Hong Kong.
- "Novel cable-strut systems for spatial structures", invited paper for 7 th Asian Pacific conference on shell and spatial structures, international symposium on new perspectives for shell and spatial structures (IASS-APCS, 2003) Taipei, Taiwan, 22-26, October 2003.
- "Advanced modeling of steel structures in fire", Invited Lecture, Workshop on Fire Engineering in Structures, Hong Kong Institute of Steel Construction, 2 February 2002.
- "Review on deign and construction of multi-storey composite steel buildings", Invited Lecture, International Seminar on Fire Engineering and Composite Construction, 25 March 2003, Hong Kong, The Hong Kong Institute of Steel Construction.
- "Advance modeling and behaviour of steel structures in fire", Keynote lecture, International seminar on steel structures in fire, Shanghai , 2-4 November 2001
- "Advanced inelastic analysis of steel and composite frames", Invited paper presented at the First international Conference on Steel and Composite Structures, Pusan Convention Centre, Pusan , Korea , 14-16 June 2001.
- "Advanced Stability Analysis for Performance-based Design of Steel and Composite Structures" Invited paper presented at the Japan/USA Joint conference on connection, Kyoto , Japan , July 23-26. 2001, 1-11.
- Journal of Construction Steel Research, Elsevier
- International Journal of Advances in Steel Construction
- International Journal of Steel and Composite Structures.
- International Journal of Steel Structures, Korea Structural Steel Society
- Journal of Progress in Steel Building Structures, Shanghai Tongji
- Journal of steel construction - design and research, Wiley .
- Journal of tall buildings, CTBUH
- The IES Journal Part A: Civil & Structural Engineering, Institute of Engineers Singapore.
- International journal of Case Studies in Structural Engineering, Elsevier.
- Member, Journal of Risk and Uncertainty Analysis, ASCE & ASME, USA.
- Conferred the Honorary professorship and fellow of the academy of engineering by Nanjing Tech University in April 2015. This award comes with 7.5 million Rmb research & development fund.
- Received best paper award on “Design and Construction of Spectacular Steel Structures” presented at the 11th Asian Pacific Conference on Shell and Spatial Structures-APCS2015, May 14-16, 2015 Xi’an, China
- Joint recipient of the Structural Excellent Award 2013 conferred by Hong Kong Institute of Engineers and UK Institute of Structural Engineers (KIE/IStructE UK) Joint Division on “design of Flower dome and cloud forest conservatories @ Gardens by the bay”. Grand award for overseas project. Prof Richard Liew acts as a specialist consultant contributing his knowledge to the successful completion of this iconic project in Singapore.
- Fellow, Academy of Engineering Singapore, 01 March 2012
- Honorary fellowship awarded by the Hong Kong Institute of Steel Construction, 2011.
- Honorary fellowship awarded by the Singapore Structural Steel Society, 2010
- Adjunct professorship awarded by the South East University, China on 21 January 2011.
- Adjunct professorship awarded by the Harbin Institute of Technology Shenzhen Graduate School, 27 Oct, 2004
- Best Paper/Student Award to KAZI MD. ABU SOHEL (PhD student of Prof Liew) 21st KKCNN Symposium on Civil Engineering
- NUS Team CORO comprising PhD students of Prof Liew won the first prize of the NAB Challenge from the Ministry of Home. A Novel Automobile Barrier was developed to stop a vehicle travelling at 60km per hour from crashing into buildings and facilities. The contest attracted 29 submissions from tertiary institutions as well as polytechnics. Amongst these submissions, 10 made it to the finals, and NUS team won the top prize in the final competition. The winning team members are Li Ya, Ye FeiJian and Ma Chenyin (Civil & Environmental Engineering), Mr Tan Chun Liang, (School of Design and Environment), Mr Nguyen Minh Trung (Mechanical Engineering).
- IASS Hangai Prize (2010) presented to Li Ya (PhD student of Prof. Richard Liew) for best paper “Novel Hybrid Lightweight Tension Strip Structures”, Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures, Vol. 51, No. 4, 2010.
- IASS Hangai Prize, (2010) presented to Ma Chenyin (PhD student of Prof. Richard Liew) for best paper Multi-Functional Deployable Protective Shelters, Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures, Vol. 51, No. 4, 2010.
- 3rd IASS Hangai Prize (2005) presented to Vu Khar Kien (PhD student of Prof. Richard Liew) for best paper "Commutative algebra in structural analysis of deployable tension-strut structures" presented at IASS symposium.
- IES, Singapore publication awards-student category, Gold Metal, presented to Gan Chin Koon, Supervised by Prof. Richard Liew in recognition of the technical article on Performance-based Approach for Fire Engineering Design of Steel Structures, 05 November 2004.
- The Civil Engineering Handbook, in which Dr. Liew contributed a major chapter on Structural Analysis, won an Outstanding Academic Book Award by the Choice magazine in 1996. The award was created to recognize scholastic Excellency made by the publisher and the authors of the textbook.
- The Steel Design Handbook by McGraw Hill, in which Dr. Liew contributed a major chapter, won the 1997 highest award of excellence given by the Association of American Publishers to McGraw-Hill. The handbook provides practical pointers for planning of buildings, and improved methods of analysis and design with limit states idealization. It includes the latest design specification for the steel structures.
- "Triple coupler for flexible scaffold system", P-No. 107188 Singapore, 29 September 2006.
- Coupler for flexible scaffold system, Patent No: US 7,147,398 B2, December 12, 2006 for his invention on novel joining method for connecting tubes from multi-directions.
- Received provisional approval for a US patent application No. 61/374,307, Title: Water Tank Storage System to Harvest Solar Energy. Pending.
- US patent application PCT/SG2009/000136, Title: Composite Panel Assemblies Including Separation Prevention Shear Connectors, 15/04/2009, Abandoned.
- Dr Liew’s research team has developed an ultra-lightweight floating concrete that have a structural compressive strength of 40MPa. This is a major breakthrough in research in cementitous composite materials for marine and offshore application.
- The research team also developed an ultra-high strength concrete of 200MPa compressive strength (4 times stronger than normal strength concrete) which can be used for high rise construction.
- The water tank energy façade system developed by the team has now been implemented full scale at Clean Tech One Building and at Yongnam station.
The following summarises the number of my publications recorded in SIS web of knowledge (2015):
- Total number of records: 128
- Sum of Times Cited without self-citations: 919
- Average citations per item: 8.92
- h-index: 21
- AllSince 2010
- Citations 31691467
- i10-index:78 41
- Professional Engineer, Singapore
- Chartered Engineer (CEng), UK
- Member, Institution of Structural Engineers (MIStructE, UK)
- Past President, Singapore Structural Steel Society
- Senior Member, Institution of Engineers Singapore
- Member, Technical Committee of Performance-based fire design code, Fire Safety and Shelter Bureau, Singapore
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Member, International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures
- Member, International Association of Bridge and Structural Engineering
- Member-at-large, Structural Stability Research Council, USA.
- Member of IStructE, Fire Engineering Task Group, London
- Member of International Structural Steel Research Advisors (ISSRA), American Institute of Steel Construction.
- Member of the International advisory board for steel design code drafting committee for Hong Kong from 01 March 2003 onwards.
- Honorary Advisor, Singapore Structural Steel Society, since 2005.
- Member of the Singapore Eurocode review advisory committee. Standards and productivity and Innovation Board.
- Expert witness, Commissioner Inquiry into the MRT Circle Line Nicoll Highway Collapse on 20 April 2004, Ministry of Manpower
- Expert witness, Investigation into the Fusionpolis collapse, Greatearth United Engineer Joint Venture, 2005.
- Independent director of Yongnam Holding Ltd.
- Independent director, Technics oil and gas Pte Ltd.
- Consultancy Services: Design and construction of large span steel structures and steel-concrete composite buildings; advanced nonlinear finite element modelling and analysis; computational fluid dynamic analysis for risk assessment; advanced steel and composite design and value engineering; design checking services and robustness design; fire engineering design; blast consultants, field and laboratory testing and instrumentation; design of security and protective structures.
Design and construction of large span steel structures and steel-concrete composite buildings; nonlinear finite element modelling and analysis; computational fluid dynamic (CFD) simulation of wind, smoke and fire; value engineering for steel and composite structures; blast and impact resistant design; fire engineering design; field instrumentation and structural health monitoring; protective structures; large scale laboratory fire tests and certification; design and testing of vehicle bollards and security barriers; fire and blast resisted modular housing system for defense and petrochemical industries.
- Structural Steel Design to Eurocode 3
- Structural Stability and Dynamics
- Civil Engineering Materials
- Final Year Integrated Design Projects
- Advanced Structural Steel Design
- Design of buildings against hazards
- Design of support systems for deep excavation
- Computational Methods for Structural Mechanics
- Structural Stability
- Plastic analysis and design of structures
- Steel-concrete composite Design to Eurocode 4
- Fire Engineering Design of Structures
- Structural steel design to Eurocode 3
- Design of steel-concrete composite structures to Eurocode 4
- Design of bolted and welded joints to Eurocode 3:1-8
- Forensic Engineering
- Design of High-rise buildings and large-span structures
- Steel structural strutting systems for deep excavation
- Fire Engineering design of steel and composite structures
- Certified Steel Engineer (StEr) course for Singapore Structural Steel Society and BCA
- Course instructor for PE Fundamental Exam.
AY2011/2012 Teaching Commendation
AY2010/2011 Teaching Commendation
AY2009/2010 Teaching Commendation
AY2008/2009 Teaching Commendation
AY2007/2008 Honour Roll (3 times ATEA winners)
AY2006/2007 Annual Teaching Excellence Award
AY2006/2007 Teaching Honours List Award
AY2005/2006 Annual Teaching Excellence Award
AY2005/2006 Engineering Educator Award
AY2004/2005 Teaching Honours List Award
AY2004/2005 Annual Teaching Excellence Award
AY2003/2004 Teaching Commendation
AY2002/2003 Teaching Honours List Award
AY2002/2003 Teaching Commendation
AY2000/2001 Teaching Honours List Award
AY2000/2001 Best Teacher Award
AY1999/2000 Teaching Commendation
AY1998/1999 Teaching Honours List Award
AY1997/1998 Teaching Commendation
AY1996/1997 Teaching Commendation
- Fire, impact & explosion analysis; Fire protection; Emergency response and evacuation models; analyses for impact and blast; sandwich structural systems for blast and impact.
- Mechanics of Stability and Plasticity: second-order inelastic analysis; finite element methods; plastic hinge methods; spread-of-plasticity; advanced analysis; cohesive elements.
- Frame Structures: semi-rigid connections; nonlinear analysis; tall buildings; space frames; scaffold systems
- Steel-Concrete Composite Structures: sandwich systems; long span flooring systems; lightweight composite slab; composite frames; composite connections; ultra high strength composite columns; composite construction; tall building composite systems; novel shear connectors.
- Protective Structures: rapidly deployed structures. design and testing of vehicle bollards and security barriers; stressed membrane structures; tension structures; tensegrity systems; bullet and blast resistant design; fire and blast protected electrical house (E-house).
- Fibre reinforced polymer (FRP) for structural applications: FRP-concrete composite; product development; sandwich structural panels; carbon fibre-reinforced polymer pipelines.
- High performance construction materials: ultra-lightweight structural grade concrete, ultra-high strength cementitious materials, fibre reinforced concrete.
- Prefabricated and prefinished volumetric construction for residential buildings and fire and blast resisted modular houses for defense and petrochemical industries.
|Start Date||End Date||Role||NUS Grant (S$)||Ext. Grant (S$)||Granting Organisation||Project Title|
|2015||2017||PI||542,800||MHA||Field blast testing of multi- functional blast resistant water storage facade|
|2015||2017||Co-PI||600,000||DSTA||Scaling of composite structures subject to blast loads|
|2012||2015||PI||994,656.00||A*STAR||Impact survivability of composite risers|
|2011||2014||PI||759,000||Marine-time Port Authority||ultra-lightweight composite sandwich curved panels for arctic applications|
|2011||2014||PI||698,849||Ministry of Home Affair||Novel water façade system for blast resistance|
|2009||2012||PI||696,132||A*STAR||Steel-Concrete Composite Systems Employing Ultra High-Strength Steel and Concrete for Sustainable High-Rise Construction|
|2009||2012||Co-PI||1,048,578||A*STAR||Sandwhich Composite Systems with Ultra Lightweight Cement-Based Core for Applications in Extreme Environment|
|01/01/2007||31/12/2009||PI||12,000 Matching Fund||252,000||Densit Asia Ltd||Development of Composite Decking Systems Using Ultra High-Strength Cementitious Material Subjected to Impact Loading.|
|01-09-2006||31-08-2008||PI||520,254||Singapore Airforce/DSTA||Rapidly Deployable Protective Shelter|
|01-09-2004||31-08-2007||PI||300,000 Matching fund||655,000||Dean’s Top up/MPA&Keppel||Steel-Concrete-Steel Sandwich System for Marine and Offshore Applications|
|01-02-2003||31-01-2006||PI||64,940||NUS- ARF||Survivability of Infrastructures Subject to Explosion and Fire|
|01-02-2002||31-01-2004||PI||29,000||NUS-ARF||Novel Cable-Strut Systems for Space Structures|
|01-09-1999||PI||161,893||Yongnam Engineering and Construction||Yongnam Structural Steel Research|
|01-01-1999||31-12-2001||PI||2,217,540||MPA – MTP II||Development of a Lightweight Scaffolding System for the Marine Industry [Ind Dev Prog: MTP II]|
|01-08-1998||01-07-2001||PI||111,760||NUS-ARF||Advanced Analysis for the Design of Composite Structures|
|01-03-1998||31-08-2000||Collaborator||1,090,000||MPA –MTP II||Development of a Lift Dynamics and Decision Support System for Lift Installation of Structures [Ind Dev Prog: MTP II]|
|01-09-1996||01-09-1999||PI||83,600||NUS-ARF||Effects of Localised Fire in Steel Building Frames|
|01-02-1995||01-02-1999||PI||234,859||NUS-ARF||Analysis and Design of Composite Frames|
|01-02-1994||01-01-1997||PI||125,600||NUS-ARF||Computer Aided Second-order Inelastic Analysis for Frame Design|
|01-10-2004||30-09-2007||Collaborator||2,660,200||EDB||EDB TAP: Oil and Gas and Offshore Engineering Technologies|
|01-07-2001||31-12-2004||Collaborator||864,995||MPA – MTP I||Knowledge-based System for Crane Safety & Productivity in Construction (I-Lift)|
|01-12-1999||31-05-2003||Collaborator||55,000||NUS-ARF||Re-Assessment and Retrofitting of Tubular Structures and Connections|
|15-11-1998||14-04-2002||Collaborator||574,000||HDB||HDB-NUS Joint Project on Appropriate Design Wind Loads|
|01-07-1997||01-12-2001||Collaborator||64,487||NUS-ARF||Stiffened Plates in Ocean and Offshore Structures|
|01-02-1997||01-12-2000||Collaborator||132,100||NUS-ARF||Effects of Earthquake and Wind Loads on Buildings in Singapore|
|01-10-1996||01-10-2001||PI||50,000||BP Laysaght||Applications of Structural Steel and Steel-Concrete Composite Technology|
|01-08-1995||01-08-1998||Collaborator||144,000||NUS-ARF||Durability and Repair of RC Members|
|01-07-1995||01-05-2000||Collaborator||71,200||NUS-ARF||Ultimate Load Behaviour of Curved Steel Beams|
|01-01-1994||01-10-1998||PI||167,800||NUS-ARF||Composite Construction for Long Span Structures|
|01-06-1991||30-09-1996||PI||201,900||NUS-ARF||Stability of Semi-Rigid Space Frames|
- Liew, JY.R., N M Punniyakotty and N E Shanmugam (1997), Advanced analysis and design of spatial structures, J. Constructional Steel Research, Vol. 42, No. 1, Elsevier Science, pp 21-48.
- Liew, J.Y.R., Tang, L.K., Tore Holmaas, and Choo, Y.S (1998), Advanced analysis for the assessment of steel frames in fire, J. Constructional Steel research, Vol. 47, No. 1-2, 19-45.
- Saw, H.S. and R J Y Liew (2000), Assessment of current methods for the design of composite columns in buildings, Journal of Constructional Steel Research (UK), 53: (2) 121-147.
- Liew, R J Y and L K Tang (2000), Advanced plastic-hinge analysis for the design of tubular frames , Engineering Structures ( UK ), Volume 22, Issue 7, pp 769-783.
- Chen H, Liew, R J Y and Shanmugam N E (2000), Nonlinear inelastic analysis of building frames with thin-walled cores , Thin-Walled Structures , Elsevier.
- Punniyakotty, N M , Liew R. J.Y., and Shanmugam , N.M. (March 2000), Nonlinear Analysis of Self-Erection of Steelworks by Cable-Tensioning Technique , J Structural Engineering , ASCE, Volume 126, Issue 3, pp. 361-370, , (United States).
- Liew, R J Y, H Chen, N E Shanmugam and W F Chen (2000), Improved Nonlinear Plastic Hinge Analysis of Space Frames , Engineering Structures , 22, 1324-1338, ( United Kingdom ).
- Liew, R J Y, T H Teo, and N E Shanmugam, and Yu, C H (2000), Testing of Steel-Concrete Composite Connections and Appraisal of Results , Journal of Constructional Steel Research , 56(2), 117-150, Nov, (United Kingdom).
- Liew,R J Y, N. M. Punniyakotty and N. E. Shanmugam (2001), Limit-State Analysis and Design of Cable-Tensioned Structures , International Journal of Space Structures , Multi-Science Publishing , UK , 16(2), 95-110, (2001).
- Liew, R J Y, Chen H, and N E Shanmugam (2001), Inelastic Analysis of Steel Frames with Composite Beams , J. Structural Engineering , ASCE, 127(2), 194-202.
- Liew, R J Y and Looi K L (2001), Practical Design Guides for Semi-continuous Composite Braced Frames , J. Steel and Composite Structures , 1(2), Techno-Press, 213-230.
- Liew JYR and Uy, B (2001), Advanced analysis of composite frames , Progress in Structural Engineering and Materials . John Wiley, UK , 2001, 3(2), 159-169
- Liew J Y R (2001), State-of-the-art of advanced inelastic analysis of steel and composite frames, J Steel and Composite Structures , Techno-Press, 1(3), 341-354.
- Jiang XM, Chen H and Liew JYR (2002), Spread-of-plasticity analysis of three dimensional steel frames, Journal of Constructional Steel Research , Elsevier , UK , (2002), 58(2), 193-212.
- Liew JYR, Tang LK and Choo YS (2002), Advanced analysis for performance-based design of steel structures exposed to fires , J of Structural Engineering , ASCE, USA (2002), 128(12), 1584-1593.
- Liew J Y R, Lee B H and Wang B B (2003), Innovative Use of Star Prism and Di-pyramid for Spatial Structures , J Constructional Steel Research , Elsevier (United Kingdom), UK, 59 (3), 335-457.
- Liew J Y R and Lee B H, (2003), Experimental investigation of Cable strut Structures, J Constructional Steel Research , Elsevier, UK, 59 (10), 1363-1384.
- Liew JYR, Tang LK and Choo YS, Advanced analysis for performance-based design of steel structures exposed to fires, J of Structural Engineering , ASCE, USA, 128(12), 1584-1593.
- Liew J Y R, Teo T H and Shanmugam N E (2003), Composite joints subject to reversal of loading – Part I: Experimental Study and Part II Analytical Assessment, Journal of Constructional Steel Research , Vol. 60, Issue 2, 221-268.
- Sohel, K.M.A., Liew J. Y. R., Alwis, W.A.M. and Paramasivam, P. (2003), Experimental investigation of low-velocity impact characteristics of steel-concrete-steel sandwich beams, Journal of steel and composite structures , Techno-Press, 3(4), 289-306.
- Liew, J.Y.R. and Ma K. Y. (2004), Advanced analysis of steel framework exposed to compartmental fire, J of Fire and Materials, Wiley, USA, 28(2-4), 253-267.
- Liew, J Y R, Buildable design of multi-storey and large span steel structures, J Steel Structures, Korean Society of Steel Structures, 2004, 4(2), 53-70.
- Liew, J.Y.R. and Chen, H. (2004), Explosion and fire analysis of steel frames using fiber element approach, J. of Structural Engineering, ASCE, July, 130(7), 991-1000.
- Ma K. Y. and Liew, J.Y.R. (2004), Nonlinear Plastic Hinge Analysis of Three-dimensional Steel Frames in Fire, J. of Structural Engineering, ASCE, July, 130(7), 981-990.
- Liew, J Y R. and Chen H, (2004), Direct Analysis for Performance-based Design of Steel and Composite Structures, Progress in Structural Engineering and Materials. John Wiley, UK, Vol. 6, No. 4, 213-228.
- Liew, J Y R, (2004) Performance based fire safety design of structures – A multi-dimensional integration, Advances in Structural Engineering, Multi-Science Publisher, U.K, Vol. 7, No. 4, 111-133.
- Chen, H. and Liew, J.Y.R. and (2005), Explosion and fire analysis of steel frames using mixed element method, J. of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 131(6), 606-616.
- Vu, K K, A Krishnapillai and Liew J Y R, "Deployable tension strut structures: Conceptulization to implementation". Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 62 (2005): 195 206.
- Qian, X D, Y S Choo, Liew J Y R and J Wardenier, "Simulation of Ductile Fracture of Circular Hollow Section Joints Using the Gurson Model". Journal of Structural Engineering ASCE, 131, no. 5 (2005): 768 780. (United States).
- Yu, H X and Liew J Y R, "Considering Catenary Action in Designing End restrained Steel Beams in Fire". Advances in Structural Engineering, 8, no. 3 (2005): 309 324.
- Van der vegte, G.J., Y S Choo, J.X. Liang, N. Zettlemoyer and Liew J Y R, "Static Strength of T joints Reinforced with Doubler or Collar Plates Part II. Numerical Simulations". Journal of Structural Engineering ASCE, 131, no. 1 (2005): 129 138. (United States).
- Choo, Y S, G.J. Van der vegte, N. Zettlemoyer, B.H. Li and Liew J Y R, "Static Strength of T joints Reinforced with Doubler or Collar Plates Part I. Experimental Investigations". Journal of Structural Engineering ASCE, (2005): 119 128. (United States).
- Liang*, Q Q, R J Y Liew and B Uy, "Strength of concrete filled steel box columns with buckling effects.". Australian Journal of Structural Engineering, 7, no. 2 (2007): 145 155.
- Liang*, Q Q, B Uy and R J Y Liew, "Local buckling of steel plates in concrete filled thin walled steel tubular beam columns". Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 63, no. 3 (2007): 396 405
- Vu*, K K, R J Y Liew and K Anandasivam, "Deployable Tension Strut Structures: Structural Morphology Study and Alternative Form Creations". Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures: IASS, 21, no. 3 (2006): 149 164.
- Tran, T C and R J Y Liew*, "Butterfly structure for spatial enclosures". Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures: IASS, 47, no. 3 (2006).
- Liang, Q Q, B Uy and R J Y Liew, "Nonlinear analysis of conrete filled thin walled steel box columns with local buckling effects". Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 26, no. 6 (2006): 581 591.
- Liew*, R J Y and J J Li, "Advanced analysis of pre tensioned bowstring structures" International Journal of Steel Structures, 6, no. 2 (2006): 153 162
- Liew, R J Y and T C Tran, "Novel deployable strut tensioned membrane structures". Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures: IASS, 47, no. 1 (2006): 17 30.
- Vu*, K K, R J Y Liew and A Krishnapillai, "Commulative algebra in structural analysis of deployable tension strut structures". Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures: IASS, 46, no. 3 (2005): 173 178.
- Yu, H X and R J Y Liew, "Steel framed structures subjected to combined effects of blast and fire Part 2: case study". Advanced Steel Construction, 1, no. 1 (2005): 85 104.
- Yu, H X and R J Y Liew, "Steel frame structures subjected to the combined effects of blast and fire Part 1: State of the art review". Advanced Steel Construction, 1, no. 1 (2005): 67 84.
- Chen*, HONG and R J Y Liew, "Explosion and fire analysis of steel frames using mixed element method". Journal of Engineering Mechanics ASCE, 131, no. 6 (2005): 606 616.
- Liew J Y R and Li J J, 2006, Advanced analysis of pre-tensioned bowstring structures, J Steel Structures, Korean Society of Steel Structures, 6(2), 153-162.
- Tran T C and Liew J Y R, (2006), Butterfly structures for spatial enclosures, J of IASS for Shell and Spatial Structures, (47(3), n.152 December, 291-302.
- Liang, Q.Q., Uy, B. and Liew, J.Y.R. (2006) Strength and ductility of concrete-filled thin-walled steel box columns with local buckling effects. Special Issue Australian Journal of Structural Engineering, 6(3).
- Liang, Qing Quan and Uy, Brian and Liew, J. Y. R. (2007) Strength of concrete-filled steel box columns with buckling effects. Australian Journal of Structural Engineering, 7 (2). pp. 145-155.
- Vu KK, Liew JYR, Krishnapillai A, 2006, Deployable Tension-Strut Structures: Structural Morphology Study and Alternative Form Creations, International Journal of Space Structures, Vol 21, No. 3, pp 149-164
- Liew, J Y R (2008) SURVIVABILITY OF STEEL FRAME STRUCTURES SUBJECT TO BLAST AND FIRE, J Constructional Steel Research, Vol 64/7-8 pp 854-866.
- Liew, J.Y.R. (2008). “Innovative SCS system for marine and offshore applications”, The structural engineer, Vol. 86, No. 12, pp. 24-25
- Liew J Y R and Sohel KAM, Lightweight steel-concrete-steel sandwich system with J-hook connectors, Engineering structures, 31 (2009) 1166_1178.
- Liew*, J Y R and X DAI, "Fatigue Performance of Lightweight Steel Concrete Steel Sandwich Systems". Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Volume 66, Issue 2, February 2010, Pages 256-276 (2009).
- Sohel KMA, Liew JYR. Steel-Concrete-Steel Sandwich Slabs with Lightweight Core –Static Performance. Engineering Structures 2011, Vol.33, No. 3, pp. 981-992.
- Liew JYR, Sohel KMA. Structural Performance of Steel-Concrete-Steel Sandwich Composite Structures. Advances in Structural Engineering, 2010, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 453-470.
- Liew JYR, Sohel KMA, Koh CG. Impact Tests on Steel-Concrete-Steel Sandwich Beams with Lightweight Concrete Core. Engineering Structures, 2009, Vol.31 (9), pp. 2045-2059.
- Liew JYR, Sohel KMA. Lightweight Steel-Concrete-Steel Sandwich System with J-hook Connectors. Engineering Structures, 2009, Vol. 31(5), pp. 1166-1178.
- Liew JYR, D. X. Xiong. Effect of preload on the axial capacity of concrete-filled composite columns. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Volume 65, Issue 3, March 2009, pp 709-722
- Kang K. W., S.C. Lee and Liew JYR, 'Analysis and Design of Concrete-Filled Steel Composite Column Subjected to Blast Loading', Proceedings of the ICE - Structures and Buildings, 2012 (Accepted for publication).
- Aboobucker M.A.M., T.Y. Wang and Liew JYR, "An experimental investigation on shear bond strength between steel and fresh cast concrete using epoxy". The IES Journal Part A: Civil & Structural Engineering, Vol.2, No.2, May 2009, 107-115.
- WANG*, JY, M H Zhang, W LI, K S CHIA and J Y R Liew, "Stability of Cenospheres in Lightweight Cement Composites in Terms of Alkali Silica Reaction". Cement and Concrete Research, 42 (2012): 721 727.
- Liew, J Y R and T Wang, "Novel Steel Concrete Steel Sandwich Composite Plates Subject to Impact and Blast Load". Advances in Structural Engineering, 14, no. 4 (2011): 673 687
- LI, Y, K K VU and J Y R Liew, "Deployable cable chain structures: Morphology, structural response and robustness study". Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures: IASS, 52, no. 2 (2011): 83 96.
- Yousuf, Mohammad; Uy, Brian; Tao, Zhong; Liew JYR, Transverse impact resistance of hollow and concrete filled stainless steel columns, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 82 (2013), 177-189.
- Sohel, K. M. A.; Liew, J. Y. Richard; Yan, J. B, Zhang MH, Behavior of Steel-Concrete-Steel sandwich structures with lightweight cement composite and novel shear connectors, Composite Structures, 94(12), (2012), 3500-3509.
- Liew JYR and Xiong DX, Ultra-High Strength Concrete Filled Composite Columns for Multi-Storey Building Construction, Advances in Structural Engineering. 15(9), (2012), 1487-150
- Wang Y, Qian X D, Liew, J Y R Liew and Zhang M H, "Experimental Behavior of Cement Filled Pipe-In-Pipe Composite Structures under Transverse Impact. International Journal of Impact Engineering, 72 (2014): 1-16.
- Wang, JY, CHIA KS, Liew J Y R and Zhang M H, Flexural Performance of Fiber-Reinforced Ultra Lightweight Cement Composites with Low Fiber Content. Cement & Concrete Composites, 43 (2013): 39-47.
- Yan, J B, Liew, J Y R and Zhang M H, Tensile resistance of J-hook connectors used in Steel-Concrete-Steel sandwich structure. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 100, (2013): 146-162.
- Yousuf, M, B Uy, T Zhong and J Y R Liew, Transverse impact resistance of hollow and concrete filled stainless steel columns. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 82 (2013): 177-189.
- Wang Y, Qian X D, Liew, J Y R and Zhang M H, Experimental Behavior of Cement Filled Pipe-In-Pipe Composite Structures under Transverse Impact. International Journal of Impact Engineering, 72 (2014): 1-16.
- WANG, JY, Y YANG, J Y R Liew and M H Zhang, Method to Determine Mix Proportions of Workable Ultra Lightweight Cement Composites to Achieve Target Unit Weights. Cement & Concrete Composites, 53 (2014): 178-186
- SUN, M, Liew J Y R, Zhang M H and Li W, Development of Cement-based Strain Sensor for Health Monitoring of Ultra High Strength Concrete. Construction and Building Materials, (2014).
- Fan, Sheng-gang, Gan-Ping Shu, Guang-Jun She and J Y R Liew, Computational method and numerical simulation of temperature field for large-space steel structures in fire". Advanced Steel Construction, 10(2), (2014): 151-178
- KAZI*, M A S and J Y R Liew, Behavior of steel–concrete–steel sandwich slabs subject to impact load. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 100 (2014): 163-175
- Yousufa, Mohammad, Brian Uy, Zhong Tao, Alex Remennikov and J Y R Liew, Impact Behaviour of Pre-Compressed Hollow and CFT Mild and Stainless Steel Columns. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 96 (2014): 54-68.
- MA, C Y and J Y R Liew, Blast and Ballistic Resistance of Ultra-High Strength Steel. Journal of Protective Structures, 4(3), (2013): 379-413.
- Liew, J Y R, M Xiong and D Xiong, "Design of high strength concrete filled tubular columns for tall buildings". International Journal of High Rise Buildings, 3(3) (2014): 1 7.
- Yan, J B, J Y R Liew, M A S Kazi and M H Zhang, "Push out tests on J hook connectors in Steel Concrete Steel sandwich structure". Materials and Structures, 47 (2014): 1693 1714.
- Wang, Y, X Qian, J Y R Liew and M H Zhang, "Experimental Behavior of Cement Filled Pipe In Pipe Composite Structures under Transverse Impact". International Journal of Impact Engineering, 72 (2014): 1 16.
- Wand, JY, Y Yang, J Y R Liew and M H Zhang, "Method to Determine Mix Proportions of Workable Ultra Lightweight Cement Composites to Achieve Target Unit Weights". Cement & Concrete Composites, 53 (2014): 178 186.
- Sun, M, J Y R Liew, M H Zhang and W LI, "Development of Cement based Strain Sensor for Health Monitoring of Ultra High Strength Concrete". Construction and Building Materials, 65 (2014): 630 637.
- Fan, Sheng gang, Gan Ping Shu, Guang Jun She and J Y R Liew, "Computational method and numerical simulation of temperature field for large space steel structures in fire". Advanced Steel Construction, 10(2) (2014): 151 178.
- Chia, K S, X Liu, J Y R Liew and M H Zhang, "Experimental Study on Creep and Shrinkage of High Performance Ultra Lightweight Cement Composite of 60 MPa". Structural Engineering and Mechanics, 50, no. 5 (2014): 635 652.
- Kazi, M A S and J Y R Liew, "Behavior of steel–concrete–steel sandwich slabs subject to impact load". Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 100 (2014): 163 175.
- Yan, J, J Y R Liew and M H Zhang, "Mechanical properties of normal strength mild steel and high strength steel S690 in low temperature relevant to Arctic environment". Materials & Design, 61 (2014): 150 159.
- Yan, J, J Y R Liew and M H Zhang, "Ultimate strength behaviour of steel concrete steel sandwich composite structures, Part 1: Experimental and analytical Study". Steel and Composite Structures, 17( 6), (2014): 906 927.
- Yan, Jia Bao, J Y R Liew and M H Zhang, "Experimental and analytical study on ultimate strength behaviour of steel concrete steel sandwich composite beam structures". Materials and Structures, 48(5) (2015): 1523 1544.
- Yan, Jia Bao, J Y R Liew and M H Zhang, "Ultimate strength behaviour of steel concrete steel sandwich composite structures, Part 2: Finite element analysis". Steel and Composite Structures, 18(4) (2015): 1001 1021.
- Sohel, K.M.A., J Y R Liew and C G Koh, "Numerical modelling of lightweight Steel Concrete Steel sandwich composite beams subjected to impact". Thin Walled Structures, 94 (2015): 135 146.
- Wang, Y, J Y R Liew and S C Lee, "Theoretical models for axially restrained steel concrete steel sandwich panels under blast loading". International Journal of Impact Engineering, 76 (2015).
- Yan, J, J Y R Liew, X Qian and Junyan Wang, "Ultimate strength behavior of curved steel–concrete–steel sandwich composite beams". Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 115 (2015): 316 328.
- Wang, Y, J Y R Liew and S C LEE, "Structural performance of water tank under static and dynamic pressure loading". International Journal of Impact Engineering, 85 (2015): 110 123.
- Wang, Y and J Y R Liew, "Blast performance of water tank with energy absorbing support". Thin Walled Structures, 96 (2015): 1 10.
- Wang, Y, X Qian, J Y R Liew and M H Zhang, "A Load Indentation Formulation for Cement Composite Filled Pipe In Pipe Structures". Engineering Structures, 92 (2015): 84 100.
- Wang, Y, J Y R Liew and S C Lee, "Experimental and numerical studies on non composite Steel Concrete Steel sandwich panels under impulsive loading". Materials & Design, 81 (2015).
- Wang, Y, X Qian, J Y R Liew and M H Zhang, "Impact of Cement Composite Filled Steel Tubes: An Experimental, Numerical and Theoretical Treatise". Thin Walled Structures, 87 (2015): 76 88.
- Jeyarajan, S, J Y R Liew and C G Koh, "Enhancing the Robustness of Steel Concrete Composite Buildings under Column Loss Scenarios". International Journal of Protective Structures, 6(3) (2015): 529 550.
- Jeyarajan, S, J Y R Liew and C G Koh, "Analysis of steel concrete composite buildings for blast induced progressive collapse". International Journal of Protective Structures, 6, no. 3 (2015): 457 485.
- Huang, Z and J Y R Liew, "Nonlinear finite element modelling and parametric study of curved steel–concrete–steel double skin composite infilled with ultra lightweight cement composite infilled with ultra lightweight cement composite". Construction and Building Materials, 95 (2015): 922 938.
- Huang, Z, J Y R Liew, M Xiong and JY Wang, "Structural behaviour double skin composite system using ultra lightweight cement composite". Construction and Building Materials, 86 (2015): 51 63.
- Huang, Z Y, J Y R Liew, JY Wang and Peter W Marshell, "Lightweight steel–concrete–steel sandwich composite shell subject to punching shear". Ocean Engineering, 102 (2015): 146 161.
- Xiong, D X, T Wang and J Y R Liew, "Experimental Investigation on the Behavior of Hollow GFRP Pipes Subjected to Transverse Impact". Advanced Materials Research, 1110 (2015): 36 39.
- Jeyarajan, S, J Y R Liew and C G Koh, "Progressive Collapse Mitigation Approaches for Steel Concrete Composite Buildings". International Journal of Steel Structures, 15, no. 1 (2015): 175 191.
- Jin, Shuangshuang, Jinping Qu and J Y R Liew, "Stability of buckling restrained steel plate shear walls with inclined slots: Theoretical analysis and design recommendations". Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 117 (2016): 12 23.
- Xiong, M and J Y R Liew, "Mechanical properties of heat treated high tensile structural steel at elevated temperatures". Thin Walled Structures, 98 (2016): 169 176.
- Liew J Y R and Xiong MX (2015), Design Guide for Concrete Filled Tubular Members with High Strength Materials - An extension of Eurocode 4 Method to C90/105 Concrete and S550 Steel, Research Publishing, 146pp
- Chen, W.F. and Liew, J.Y.R. (1996) Stability design of semi-rigid steel frames, John Wiley & Sons, NY, 468pp.
- Liew, J. Y. R. (2001), A resource book for structural steel design & construction, SSSS/BCA Joint Publication, 83pp.
- Krishnamurthy, N., Liew J Y R, Rao K S J, and Sze T.S. Structural Welding - A resource for design and construction, SSSS/BCA Joint Publication, Jan 2003, 148pp.
- Chen W F and Liew J Y R (2002), The Civil Engineering Handbook, 2nd Edition United States: CRC Press, Boca Raton, 2002.
- Liew J. Y. R (2002), Structures in Fire, Proceedings of International Symposium on Structures in Fire, 25 October 2002, Singapore Structural Steel Society.
- Liew J Y R (2012), Advances in steel-concrete composite and hybrid structures, July 2012, Research publishing.
- Liew J. Y. R and Lee S C (2012), Proceedings of the 10th International conference on advances in steel-concrete composite and hybrid structures, July 2012, Research publishing.
- Liew, R J Y, D W White and W F Chen (1992), Chapter 2.5 : Beam-columns. In Constructional Steel Design: An International Guide, edited by P J Dowling et al, pp.105-132. London: Elsevier Applied Science Publishers Ltd, England.
- Liew, R J Y and W F Chen (1994), Chapter 1: A Trend Toward Advanced Analysis. In Advanced analysis in steel frames: Theory, Software and Applications, edited by WF Chen and S Toma, pp.1-45. United States: CRC Press.
- Liew, J Y R and Chen W F, chapter 8: Second Order Plastic Hinge Analysis. In Plastic Design and Second-Order Analysis of Steel Frames, by WF Chen and I Sohal, pp.425-502. United States: Spring-Verlag, 1995.
- Liew, J.Y.R and Chen, W.F. (1997) Chapter 6: LRFD- Limit Design of Frames, In Steel Design Handbook: LRFD Method, Edited by Akbar, R. Tamboli, McGraw-Hill, 6-11 to 6-83.
- Liew, J.Y.R., Balendra, T. and Chen, W.F. (1997), Chapter 12: Multi-storey frame structures. In The Structural Engineering Handbook, Edited by Chen, W.F., CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.
- Uy, B, and Liew, J.Y.R. (2002), Chapter 51: Composite Steel-concrete Structures. In Civil Engineering Handbook: second Edition, Edited by Chen W.F. and Liew, J.Y.R, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.
- Chen H and Liew, J R Y, (2011) Chapter 6: Advanced Analysis of Steel and Composite Semi-rigid Frames, Semi-rigid Connections Handbook, Edited by Wai-Fah Chen, Norimitsu Kishi, and Masato Komuro, J. Ross Publishing, 2011, 143-254.
- Liew J. Y. R Ng Y H and Ho W B (2012), Design and construction of unusual and complex structures, In advances in steel-concrete composite and hybrid structures, July 2012, Editor: J Y Richard Liew, Research publishing, 1-22