Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65) 6516 6474
Dr. Yu's teaching and research interests focus on air quality and aerosol sciences, with emphasis on characterization of aerosols emitting from combustion sources, and behavior of oxygenated organic compounds in atmospheric particulates, in particular, processes of photooxidation and chemical transformation of dicarboxylic acids. Dr. Yu's research group also strives to better understand impacts of transboundary biomass burning smoke on urban atmospheric environment.
In collaboration with Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine at NUS, Dr. Yu expands her research interests to explore potential health effects of engineered nanomaterials. Dr. Yu also works with a multi-disciplinary team at NUS to examine potential impacts of engineered nanomaterials on environment and biological systems.
- Ph.D. (Civil Env. Eng.) Stanford, USA, 1997
- M.Sc. (Civil Env. Eng.) Stanford, USA, 1990
- Teaching Commendation Award, NUS (2006-2007)
- Teaching Commendation Award, NUS (2005-2006)
- Teaching Commendation Award, NUS (2001-2002)
- Teaching Commendation Award, NUS (2000-2001)
- Air & Waste Management Association (A&WMA)
- American Association for Aerosol Research (AAAR)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Environmental Engineering Society of Singapore
- Air pollution and air quality management
- Atmospheric chemistry and physics
- Aerosol science & technology
- Fundamentals in Environmental Protection
- Air quality and combustion aerosols
- Photochemical transformation of atmospheric particulates
- Characterization of organic aerosols
- Health effects of engineered nanoparticles
- Krishnan P, Liu M, Itty PA, Liu Z, Rheinheimer V, Zhang M-H, Monteiro PJM, Yu LE, “Characterization of photocatalytic TiO2 powder under varied environments using near ambient pressure X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy”, Sci. Rep. 7-43298 (2017).
- Reid JS, Lagrosas ND, Jonsson HH, Reid EA, Atwood SA, Boyd TJ, Ghate VP, Xian P, Posselt DJ, Simpas JB, Uy SN, Zaiger K, Blake DR, Bucholtz A, Campbell JR, Chew BN, Cliff SS, Holben BN, Holz RE, Hyer EJ, Kreidenweis SM, Kuciauskas AP, Lolli S, Oo M, Perry KD, Salinas SV, Sessions WR, Smirnov Al, Walker AL, Wang Q, Yu L, Zhang J, Zhao Y. “Aerosol meteorology of Maritime Continent for the 2012 7SEAS southwest monsoon intensive study – Part 2: Philippine receptor observations of fine-scale aerosol behavior”, Atmos. Chem. Phys. 16:14057–14078 (2016)
- Reid JS, Lagrosas ND, Jonsson HH, Reid EA, Sessions WR, Simpas JB, Uy SN, Boyd TJ, Atwood SA, Blake DR, Campbell JR, Cliff SS, Holben BN, Holz RE, Hyer EJ, Lynch P, Meinardi S, Posselt DJ, Richardson KA, Salinas SV, Smirnov A, Wang Q, Yu L, Zhang J. “Observations of the temporal variability in aerosol properties and their relationships to meteorology in the summer monsoonal South China Sea/East Sea: the scale-dependent role of monsoonal flows, the Madden–Julian Oscillation, tropical cyclones, squall lines and cold pools”, Atmos. Chem. Phys. 15:1745–1768 (2015).
- Atwood SA, Reid JS, Kreidenweis SM, Yu LE, Salina SV, Chew BN, Balasubramanian R. “Analysis of source regions for smoke events in Singapore for the 2009 El Nino burning season”, Atmos. Environ. 78:219–230 (2013).
- Yang LM, Nguyen DM, Jia SG, Reid JS, Yu LE. “Impacts of biomass burning smoke on the distributions and concentrations of C2–C5 dicarboxylic acids and dicarboxylates in a tropical urban environment”, Atmos. Environ. in press (2013).
- Balasubramanian SK, Poh KW, Ong CN, Kreyling WG, Ong WY, Yu LE. “The effect of primary particle size on biodistribution of inhaled gold nano-agglomerates”, Biomaterials, 34:5439-5452 (2013).
- Salinas SV, Chew BN, Miettinen J, Campbell JR, Welton EJ, Reid JS, Yu LE, Liew SC. “Physical and optical characteristics of the October 2010 haze event over Singapore: A photometric and lidar analysis”, Atmos. Res. 122:555–570 (2013).
- Chew WS, Poh KW, Siddiqi NJ, Alhomida AS, Yu LE, Ong WY. “Short- and long-term changes in blood miRNA levels after nanogold injection in rats-potential biomarkers of nanoparticle exposure”, Biomarkers 17:750–757(2012).
- Stone EA, Yang LM, Yu LE, Rupakheti M. “Characterization of organosulfates in atmospheric aerosols at four Asian locations”, Atmos. Environ. 47:323–329 (2012).
- Sng GKJ, Koh KSD, Yu LE, Gunaratnam S. “Current surveillance plan for persons handling nanomaterials in the National University of Singapore”, J. Occup. Environ. Med., 53:S25–S27 (2011).
- Balasubramanian SK, Yang LM, Yung LYL, Ong CN, Ong WY, Yu LE. “Characterization, purification, and stability of gold nanoparticles” Biomaterials, 31:9023–9030 (2010).
- Balasubramanian SK, Jittiwat, J, Manikandan J, Ong CN, Yu LE, Ong WY. “Biodistribution of gold nanoparticles and gene expression changes in the liver and spleen after intravenous administration in rats” Biomaterials, 31:2034–2042 (2010).