Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65) 6516 4540
Dr Hu Jiangyong graduated from Tsinghua University with B.Eng. in 1991. She completed her PhD in 1996 at Tsinghua University. After graduation, she jointed Department of Civil Engineering, NUS as a NSTB postdoctoral fellow in 1996. From 1998 onwards, she worked in the same Department as an Assistant Professor till June 2004. She is currently working in Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering as an Associate Professor specializing in the field of water treatment and water reclamation.
Dr Hu has more than eighteen years research experience on water treatment technology enhancement and water quality control. Her main research interests include water innovative treatment technology, emerging contaminants detection and removal, water disinfection and biofilm control, organic compounds characterization and treatability, water quality and health effect, and energy efficient treatment process. The aims of her current research include: (1) in-depth understanding of organics removal and interaction with physical, chemical and biological treatment units in water and wastewater treatment processes (2) knowledge in fate and behaviors of emerging contaminants in water treatment and reclamation (3) fundamentals on biofilm formation and (4) development of integrated disinfection system for microorganisms inactivation (5) exploration of novel water and wastewater treatment technology for water quality enhancement and energy minimization.
Dr Hu has published more than 150 technical papers in various international journals. She has been acted as chairs of organizing committee and co-president for a few international conferences and symposium. She currently serves as associate editor, guest editor and editorial board members and reviewers for a number of journals as well as funding agencies.
- Ph.D., M.Eng, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1996
- B.Eng. Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1991
- Visiting Scholar, Ecole de Mines de Nantes, France, 2014
- Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, (2017 - )
- Associate Professor, Division of Environmental Science and Engineering / Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, (2005 - 2017)
- Assistant Professor, Civil Engineering Department, National University of Singapore, (1998-2004).
- Visiting Scientist, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan (2001-2002).
- Post Doctoral Fellow (1996-1998).
- Lecturer, Environmental Engineering Department, Tsinghua University, (1996-1996).
- Environmental Programme Director, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, 2014/2015
- Deputy Director, SPORE program, National University of Singapore (2010-present)
- Deputy Head (Research), Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (2010-2013)
- Deputy Head (Administration), Division of Environmental Science and Engineering, National University of Singapore - NUS (2005-2010).
- Deputy Director, Centre for Water Research, National University of Singapore - NUS (2003-2007).
- Co-Director, Centre for Water Research, National University of Singapore - NUS (2008-present).
- Outstanding reviewer award, Journal of Environmental Science (2014)
- IWA Fellow (2011 - 2015)
- Prosper.net-scopus Young Scientist Award, (2009)
- Paper Award, IWA Biofilm Technologies Conference, (Jan 2008)
- Best Postal Award, IWA ASPIRE Conference (Oct 2009)
- Inspiring Mentor Award, NUS, (2009)
- Hitachi Fellowship, 2001-2002, Hitachi Foundation, Japan, (2001-2002).
- NSTB Postdoctoral Fellowship, NSTB, Singapore, (1996-1998).
- Award (3rd grade) of Progress in Science and Technology of Tsinghua University, China National Education Committee, (1996).
- Award of Achievements in Science and Technology of Tsinghua University, Tsinghua University, (1996).
- Excellent Graduate, Tsinghua University, (1991).
- Guest Editor, Water, 2014
- Associate Editor, Water Science and Technology, Water Science and Technology/Water Supply
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Process Biochemistry, Advances in Asian Environmental Engineering, Journal of Environmental Engineering, Journal of Fishers and Aquatic Science, Journal of Water Reuse and Desalination
- Associate Editor, Frontiers of Environmental Science and Engineering
- Associate Editor, ASCE Journal of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste
- Issue Editors, IWA journals on "Water Science and Technology" and "Water Science and Technology: Water Supply"
- Co-editor for Assessment and Control of Hazardous Substances Specialist Group, IWA
- President, Environmental Engineering Society of Singapore (EESS)
- Member, U21 WSFC Steering Committee
- Member, International Water Association (IWA), American Water Works Association (AWWA), Water Environment Federation (WEF), Environmental Engineering Society of Singapore (EESS), International UV Association (IUVA)
- Secretary of Water Reuse Specialist Group Management Committee, IWA
- Management Committee Member of Assessment and Control of Hazardous Substances Specialist Group, IWA
- Member, Technical Committee on National Drinking Water Standards
- Member, Technical Committee on Water Quality Guidelines for Aquatic Facilities
- Member, Organizing committee, IWA biofilm conference, 2008
- Chairperson, Organizing Committee for 17th Joint KKNN Symposium on Environmental Engineering, 2008
- Chairperson, Organising Committee for 4th ICWSE, 2008
- Member, International Advisory Committee, 2nd IWA-Aspire Conference, 2007
- Conference Co-President, 2005, IWA-Aspire Conference
- Chairperson, Organizing Committee for 13th Joint KKNN Symposium on Environmental Engineering, 2004
- Member, Technical advisory committee, 7th International environment management technology, equipment & control systems exhibition and conference, 2003
- Chairman of technical programme advisory committee, Water and Waste Global Submit, 2001
- Member, Technical program committee, WEFTEC Asia '98
- Advanced wastewater treatment
- Water treatment technology
- Water reclamation and reuse
- Water and wastewater treatment engineering
- Water and wastewater treatment process design
- Advanced Oxidation Process
- Emerging Contaminants Detection and Removal
- Water Disinfection Technology
- Biofilm Control
- XIONG, P and J Y Hu, "Inactivation/reactivation of antibiotic-resistant bacteria by a novel UVA/LED/TiO2 system". Water Research, 47, 13 (2013): 4547-4555.
- TRAN, N H, J Y Hu and S L Ong, "Simultaneous determination of PPCPs, EDCs, and artificial sweeteners in environmental water samples using a single-step SPE coupled with HPLC-MS/MS and isotope dilution". Talanta, 113 (2013): 82-92.
- SK, Park, Choi JH and J Y Hu, "Assessing bacterial growth potential in a model distribution system receiving nanofiltration membrane treated water". Desalination, 296 (2012): 7-15.
- XIONG, P and J Y Hu, "Degradation of acetaminophen by UVA/LED/TiO2 process". Separation and Purification Technology, 91 (2012): 89-95.
- GUO, H and J Y Hu, "Effect of hydrid coagulation-membrane filtration on downstream UV disinfection". Desalination, 2, 290 (2012): 115-124.
- GUO, H, X CHU and J Y Hu, "Effect of host cells on low- and medium-pressure UV inactivation adenoviruses". Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 76, 21 (2011): 7068-7075.
- GUO, H and J Y Hu, "Optimization study of a hybrid alum coagulation-membrane filtration system for virus removal". Water Science and Technology, 64, 9 (2011): 1843-1850.
- Yu, Jing and J Y Hu, "Adsorption of perfluorinated compounds onto activated carbon and activated sludge". Journal of Environmental Engineering-ASCE, 137, 10 (2011): 945-957.
- Hu, J Y, J YU, S Tanaka and S Fujii, "Perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) in water environment of Singapore". Water Air and Soil Pollution, 216, 1-4 (2010): 179-191.
- YU, J and J Y Hu, "An LC-MS-MS method for the determination of perfluorinated surfactants in environmental matrices". Chromatographia, 72, 5-6 (2010): 411-416.
- YU, J, J Y Hu, S Tanaka and S Fujii, "Perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) in sewage treatment plants". WATER RESEARCH, 43, 9 (2009): 2399-2408.
- Zhang, ZB and J Y Hu, "Selective removal of estrogenic compounds by molecular imprinted polymer (MIP)". WATER RESEARCH, 42, 15 (2008): 4101-4108.
- Zhao, Y and J Y Hu, "Photo-Fenton degradation of 17B-estradiol in presence of a-FeOOHR and H2O2". APPLIED CATALYSIS B-ENVIRONMENTAL, 78 (2007): 250-258.
- JY Hu, X Chen, G Tao and K Kekred, Fate of endocrine disrupting compounds in membrane biological systems. Env. Sci. and Tech., 41, 4097-4102, 2007.
- X Jin, JY Hu and SL Ong, Influence of dissolved organic matter on estrone removal by NF membranes and the role of their structures. Wat. Res., 41, 14: 3077-3088, 2007.
- Lew CH, JY Hu, L Song, LY Lee, SL Ong, WJ Ng and H Seah, Development of an integrated membrane process for water reclamation. Wat. Sci. & Tech, 51, 6-7: 455-463, 2005.
- Hu, J Y, Y Y Feng, S L Ong, W J Ng, L Song, X L Tan and X N Chu, Improvement of recoveries for the determination of protoza Cryptosporidium and Giardia in water using method 1623. Journal of Microbiological Methods. 58, 321-325, 2004.
- Lee, L Y, S L Ong, J Y Hu, W J Ng, Y Y Feng, X L Tan and S H Wong, Semiconductor quantum dots for photostable immunoflorescent labeling of Cryptosporidium parvum. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 70: 5732-5736, 2004.
- J.Y. Hu, F. Yang, Y.H. Lin, H.B. Zhang, S.L. Ong, N. Dong, J.L. Xu, W.J. Ng and L. H. Zhang, Microbial diversity and prevalence of virulent pathogens in biofilm developed in a water reclamation system. Research in Microbiology, 154: 623-629, 2003.
- T. Yuan, J.Y. Hu, S.L. Ong and W. J. Ng, Simultaneous analysis of five selected phenolic xenoestrogens in water samples using solid phase extraction-gas chromatography mass spectrometry. Chromatographia, 58(9/10): 643-648, 2003.
- J.Y. Hu, S.L. Ong, J.H. Shan, J.B. Kang and W.J. Ng, Treatability of organic fractions derived from secondary effluent by reverse osmosis membrane. Wat. Res., 37(19): 4801-4809, 2003.
- J.Y. Hu, S.L. Ong, W.J. Ng, F. Lu and X.J. Fan, A new method for characterizing denitrifying phosphorus removal bacteria by using three different types of electron acceptors. Wat. Res., 37(14): 3463-3471 3463-3471 , 2003.