Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65) 6516 8104
Personal Website: http://www.karinawaterquality.com/
A/P Karina Gin is an Associate Professor with the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, National University of Singapore. She received her Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Melbourne in 1988 and M.Eng Degree from the National University in Singapore in 1991. She obtained her Doctor of Science (ScD) Degree jointly from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in 1996. Her research specialisation is in the area of water quality, fate and transport of emerging contaminants and ecosystem processes. A/P Gin has been a Principle Investigator of research projects totalling more than $10m. She is co-author of a book on ‘The Environment in Asia Pacific Harbours’ which recently received a UN Atlas of the Ocean award (2006). She was also a co-recipient of the Technology Enterprise Challenge (TEC) Innovator Award for Enhanced Engineered Wetland Technology for the Removal of Nutrients from Stormwater at Kranji Reservoir (2005).
A/P Gin’s research and professional experience includes the following: Chairman, National Committee of the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP); Member, Southeast Asia Regional Committee on START (SARCS); Member, Expert panel for Chemicals/Fertilizers, PUB; Member, ASTAR Technology Scan Panel for Environmental Technologies; Member, Technical Committee on Coastal and Marine Environment, Ministry of Environment and Water Resources; Member, Technical Working Group Committee on Recreational Water Quality, National Environment Agency; peer reviewer for top journals such as Deep Sea Research I, Environmental Science and Technology, Journal of Plankton Research, Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science, Science of the Total Environment, Marine Ecology, Journal of Environmental Engineering, Marine Pollution Bulletin and Water Research.
- Over 6 water quality/modeling projects in Singapore and in the region.
- Technical assessor, SAC-SINGLAS
Scientific and professional societies
Institutional & Professional service
- Water quality modeling and management
- Environmental impact assessment
- Environmental Chemistry
- Fundamentals of environmental science and engineering
Dr Karina Gin's research interest is in the area of water quality, where her expertise lies in the development of methods for the rapid detection of pathogens and microorganisms; eutrophication; water quality monitoring and modelling of reservoir/catchment systems; development of analytical techniques for the detection of trace organic contaminants; and the study of fate processes of trace organics and pathogens in natural waters. Her current research work focuses on:
- The occurrence and fate of enteric viruses in tropical surface waters;
- Risk assessment of pathogens in recreational waters;
- Emerging organic contaminants in a tropical urbanised catchment/reservoir;
- Toxic cyanobacteria and cyanophages in tropical waters and
- The development of online bacteria detection systems
Principal publications (last 5 years)
- GIN*, KYH, S G GOH* and R P NIHAR, "Predictive models for the occurrence of viable but non-culturable (VBNC) bacteria under various environmental stresses". Water Practice & Technology, 6, no. 4 (2011). (United Kingdom).
- GIN*, KYH, U Ramaswamy and A.P. Gopalakrishnan, "Comparison of nutrient limitation in freshwater and estuarine reservoirs in tropical urban Singapore". Journal of Environmental Engineering-ASCE, 137, no. 10 (2011): 913-919. (United States).
- Xu*, Y, V T NGUYEN*, M Reinhard* and KYH GIN*, "Photodegradation kinetics of p-tert-octylphenol, 4-tert-octylphenoxy-acetic acid and ibuprofen under simulated solar conditions in surface water". Chemosphere, 85, no. 5 (2011): 790-796. (United Kingdom).
- Aw*, T.G. and KYH GIN*, "Prevalence and Genetic Diversity of Waterborne Pathogenic Viruses in Surface Waters of Tropical Urban Catchments". Journal of Applied Microbiology, 110, no. 4 (2011): 903-914. (United Kingdom).
- Liu*, C.H., KYH GIN*, V.W.C. Chang, B.P.L. Goh and M Reinhard, "Novel perspectives on the bioaccumulation of PFCs - The concentration dependency". Environmental Science &Technology, 45, no. 22 (2011). (United States).
- Te*, S.H. and KYH GIN*, "The dynamics of cyanobacteria and microcystin production in a tropical reservoir of Singapore". HARMFUL ALGAE, 10, no. 3 (2011): 319-329. (United States).
- Xu*, Y, F Luo, A Pal, KYH GIN and M Reinhard, "Occurrence of emerging organic contaminants in a tropical urban catchment in Singapore.". Chemosphere, 83 (2011):963-969. (United Kingdom).
- Nguyen*, V.T., M Reinhard* and KYH GIN*, "Occurrence and source characterization of perfluorochemicals in an urban watershed". Chemosphere, 82 (2010): 1277-1285. (United Kingdom).
- Pal*, A, KYH GIN*, A.Y.C. Lin and M. Reinhard, "Impacts of Emerging Organic Contaminants on Freshwater Resources: Review of Recent Occurrences, Sources, Fate, and Effects ". Science of the Total Environment, 408, no. 24 (2010): 6062-6069. (Netherlands).
- Aw*, T.G. and KYH GIN*, "Environmental surveillance and molecular characterization of human enteric viruses in tropical urban wastewaters". Journal of Applied Microbiology, 109, no. 2 (2010): 716-730. (United Kingdom).
- Volodymr*, I, J.J.W. Lim, O Stabnikova and KYH GIN, "Biodegradation of estrogens by facultative anaerobic iron-reducing bacteria". Process Biochemistry, 45, no. 2 (2010): 284-287. (United Kingdom).
- GIN*, KYH and A.P. Gopalakrishnan, "Sediment oxygen demand and nutrient fluxes for a tropical reservoir in Singapore". Journal of Environmental Engineering-ASCE, 136, no. 1 (2010): 78-85. (United States).
- Aw*, T.G., KYH GIN*, L.L.E. Oon, E.X. Chen and C.H. Woo, "Prevalence and genotypes of human noroviruses in tropical urban surface waters and clinical samples in Singapore ". Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 75, no. 15 (2009): 4984-4992. (United States).
- Sachidanadham*, R and KYH GIN*, "Flow cytometric analysis of prolonged stress-dependent heterogeneity in bacterial cells". Fems Microbiology Letters, 290, no. 2 (2009): 143-148. (Netherlands).
- Sachidanadham*, R and KYH GIN*, "A dormancy state in non-spore forming bacteria". Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 81, no. 5 (2009): 927-941. (United States).
- Lim*, T.H., M Reinhard, Y.H. Chen, J.H. Tay and KYH GIN*, "Potential for 17b-Estradiol and Estrone Degradation in a Recharge Aquifer System". Journal of Environmental Engineering-ASCE, 133, no. 8 (2007): 819-826. (United States).
- Ke*, J, KYH GIN*, M Reinhard, T.H. Lim and J.H. Tay, "Characterization of Estrogen-Degrading Bacteria Isolated from an Artificial Sandy Aquifer with Ultrafiltered Secondary Effluent as the Medium". Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 75, no. 5 (2007): 1163-1171. (United States).