Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65)6516 2195
Prof DAVID CHUA KIM HUAT graduated from Adelaide University with BEng (1st class) in 1980 on a Colombo Plan Scholarship. In 1982 he joined the National University of Singapore as a Senior Tutor where he obtained his MEng based on his studies on vibration propagation from mass rapid transit trains in 1986. Then in 1985 he was awarded an NUS-Overseas Graduate Scholarship to study at the University of California, Berkeley. Where he was there, he obtained his MSc in 1986 and subsequently completed his PhD dissertation on a network pavement management system using reliability-based mechanistic pavement distress models in 1989 under the supervision of Professors K.C. Crandall and C.L. Monismith.
Upon his return he continued his research in areas relating to transportation and construction management with emphasis on lean construction, information technology applications, systems modelling and risk management. He also continues with his interest in his earlier work on train track vibration analysis, control and monitoring. He has also been involved in many consulting projects for the Mass Rapid Transit Corporation of Singapore, the Land Transport Authority, the Maritime Port Authority, Chartered Systems Manufacturing and other companies and joint ventures.
He is happily married to a lovely wife and has two very lovely children. In his leisure he loves to swim and read especially the bible. He also likes to take his children to the park where he would jog alongside his children while they cycle.
- PhD (1989), University of California, Berkeley, USA
- MSc (1986), University of California, Berkeley, USA
- MEng (1986), The National University of Singapore, Singapore
- BEng (1980) University of Adelaide, S. Australia
- 3rd Prize in the 5th ABB Cup National Automation Thesis Contest, 2011, China, for paper entitled “Polygon Nesting Using Genetic Algorithm”, (co-authored with student)
- Best paper award, EPPM 2010, for paper entitled “A Simulation Model for Spatial Scheduling of Dynamic Block Assembly in Shipbuilding”
- Standards Council Awards: Merit Awards, 2007
- National Day Honours 2007 – awarded by the President of the Republic of Singapore
- ST Electronics Innovation Incentive Award, Oct 2006
- Young Researcher/Student Award: IES Publication awards (student category) 2001 for paper “Stochastic Project Scheduling” (co-authored)
Others academic awards:
- Colombo Plan Scholarship, 1977
- The Sir Robert Chapman Prize, 1977
- The James Hardie Prize in Civil Engineering, 1979
- The Frank Bull Scholarship in Civil Engineering, 1979
- The John L. Young Scholarship for Research, 1980
- The Humes Prize in Civil Engineering, 1980
- NUS-Overseas Graduate Scholarship, 1985
- Commendation for Teaching Excellence, 1997 and 1998
- Appointed Honorary Fellow of the Workplace Safety and Health Institute (1Apr 2012 – 31 Mar 2014)
- Visiting Professor to Institute of Engrg Mgment of Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2012
- Visiting Professor to Institute of Engrg Mgment of Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2010
- Visiting scholar at the University of California, Berkeley (Aug – Dec 97)
Scientific and professional societies
- Council Member, System Safety Society, Singapore Chapter (2006-present)
- Singapore Representative, LCI-Asia (Lean Construction Institute - Asia)
- Member, Institute of Engineers, Singapore
- Member, Society of Project Managers
- Member, International Group for Lean Construction
- Member, Construction Research Council, ASCE
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers
Institutional and professional service in the last five years
- Member, Overseas Chapters Committee, IES
- Member, Health & Safety Engineering Technical Committee, IES
- Member, Construction IT Standards Committee
- Member, Technical Committee on Construction Management
- Editorial Board, Assistant Specialty Editor (Cost and Scheduling), Jnl of Const Engrg & Mgment
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, USA
- Member of International Scientific Committee, 3rd IALCCE 2012, Vienna, Austria, 3-6 Oct 2012
- Member of Int’l Editorial Board of the 2nd CSC2011, Chania, Crete, 6-9 September 2011
- Member of International Advisory Board, EPPM 2010, Pingtung, Taiwan, 14-15 Oct 2010
- Member of Scientific Committee, 18th IGLC Conference, Haifa, Israel, 14-16 July 2010
- Member of International Scientific Committee, 2nd IALCCE 2010, Taipei, Taiwan, 27-30 Oct 2010
- Member of International Advisory Committee, 17th IGLC Conference, Taipei, Taiwan, 15-17 July 2009
- Member of Int’l Editorial Board of 12th CC2009, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal, 1-4 Sep 2009
- Member of Int’l Editorial Board of the 1st CSC2009, Funchal, Madeira, Portugal, 1-4 Sep 2009
- Member of Int’l Advisory Committee, 16th IGLC Conference, Manchester, UK, 16-18 July 2008
- Member of Int’l Advisory Committee, 15th IGLC Conference, Michigan, USA, 18-20 July 2007
- Member of Int’l Editorial Board of 11th CC2007, St Julians, Malta, 18-21 Sep 2007
- Technical Co-chair, 3rd EPPM 2012, Brighton, UK, 10-11 Sep 2012
- Chairman, 2nd EPPM 2011, Singapore, 20-21 Sep 2011
- Technical Editor and Member of Int’l Advisory Board, EPPM 2010, Pingtung, Taiwan, 14-15 Oct 2010
- Civil Engineering Management
- Project Management and Site Control
- Engineering Economics and Project Evaluation
- Information Technology in Civil Engineering
- Information Technology
- Project Management
- Lean Construction
- Risk Management
- Construction Simulation
- Train track vibration analysis and monitoring
Principal publications of the last five years
- "Aggregate production planning for shipbuilding with variation-inventory trade-offs". International Journal of Production Research, 49, no. 20 (2011): 6249-6272.
- "A Simulation Model for Spatial Scheduling of Dynamic Block Assembly in Shipbuilding". Jnl of Engrg, Proj and Prodn Mgment, 1, no. 1 (2011): 2-9. (Best Paper Award, EPPM 2010 Conf).
- "Optimizing concurrent execution of design activities with minimum redesign". Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 26, no. 3 (2011): 409-420.
- "Predicting Change Propagation and Impact on Design Due to External Changes". IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 59, no. 3 (2011): 483-493.
- "PDM++: A Planning Framework from Construction Requirements Perspective". Journal of Construction Engineering and Management-ASCE, 137, no. 4 (2011): 266-274.
- "A Simulation Model to Study the Impact of Early Information on Design Duration and Redesign". International Journal of Project Management, 29, no. 3 (2011): 246-257.
- "Requirement and Availability Time-Window Analysis of Intermediate Function". Journal of Construction Engineering and Management-ASCE, 137, no. 11 (2011): 967-975.
- "Autogeneration of Simulation Network of the Design Process". Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 24, no. 5 (2010): 452-461.
- "Quantification of Spatial Temporal Congestion in 4D CAD". Journal of Construction Engineering and Management-ASCE, 136, no. 6 (2010): 641-649.
- "A Case-Based Reasoning Approach to Construction Safety Hazard Identification: Adaptation and Utilization". Jnl of Constr Engrg and Mgment-ASCE, 136, no. 2 (2010): 170-178.
- "Case-Based Reasoning for Construction Hazard Identification: Case Representation and Retrieval". Journal of Construction Engineering and Management-ASCE, 135, no. 11 (2009): 1181-1189.
- "Temporal Logic Representation Schema for Intermediate Function". Journal of Construction Engineering and Management-ASCE, 133, no. 4 (2007): 277-287.