Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65) 651 68796
Office: E2 #04-06
Dr. Arthur Cheng is a geophysicist specializing in acoustic logging, borehole geophysics, and rock physics. Before joining NUS, he was the Senior Manager for Acoustics and Borehole Seismics at Halliburton. He was one of the co-founders of the Earth Resources Laboratory at MIT in 1982, and was Project Leader of the MIT Borehole Acoustics and Logging Consortium until 1996, when he joined Western Atlas as Manager of Acoustic Science. He has also worked for Baker Atlas, Baker Hughes Inteq, and OHM RockSolidImages in various managerial capacities, as well as consulting for a number of different companies.
Dr. Cheng has served on a number of academic and industry positions through the years; he is currently an Associate Editor for Geophysics in Borehole Geophysics and Rock Properties, and a member of the SEG Foundation Board of Directors (2012-2014). He received the Life Membership Award from SEG in 2013. Previously he was the Vice President of the SEG Executive Committee (2009-2010), Chair of the SEAM Board of Directors (2008-2009); Chair of the SEG Research Committee (2005-2006), and a member of the Visiting Committee for the Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences at MIT (2004-2008).
- B.Sc. (Distinction) in Engineering Physics, Cornell University, 1993
- Sc.D. in Geophysics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1978. Thesis title: Seismic Velocities in Porous Rocks: Direct and Inverse Problems
- Senior Manager, Acoustic/Seismic, Sensor Physics, Halliburton, 2010—2014
- Vice President, Research, OHM RockSolidImages, 2009—2010
- Senior Rock Physics Adviser, OHM RockSolidImages, 2008—2009
- Founder and Director, Cambridge GeoSciences, Co. Ltd., 2004-present
- Scientific Advisor, SensorWise Inc., 2000-2008
- Senior Consultant, TomoSeis Corporation, Core Laboratories, 2000-2003
- Program Manager, Borehole Seismics, Houston Technology Center, Baker Hughes Inteq-Baker Atlas, 1999-2000.
- Manager, Seismic While Drilling, Baker Hughes Inteq, 1999.
- Manager, Borehole Seismics and Acoustics, Baker Atlas, 1998–99.
- Manager, Acoustic Science, Baker Atlas, (formerly Western Atlas Logging Services), 1996–97.
- Principal Research Scientist, Earth Resources Laboratory, Dept. of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences, M.I.T., 1983–1996.
- Research Associate, Dept. of Earth and Planetary Sciences, M.I.T., 1982.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Dept. of Earth and Planetary Sciences, M.I.T., 1978
- 2013 Society of Exploration Geophysicists Life Membership
- Well logging
- Wave propagation in a borehole
- Wave propagation in anisotropic media
- Elements of Seismology
- Seismic imaging and tomography
- Effective properties of porous rocks
- Seismic Tomography and Borehole Geophysics
- Modern Acoustic Logging
- Rock Physics
- Rock Physics of Pore Pressure Prediction
- Rock Physics modeling
- Acoustic Logging
- Quantitative Interpretation
- Unconventional Reservoirs
Recent Publications (2008-1013)
- Cheng, A.C.H., and J.O. Blanch, Numerical Modeling of Elastic Wave Propagation in a Fluid-filled Borehole, Comm. Computational Physics, 3, 33-51, 2008. (Review Article)
- Cheng, A.C.H., Measurements of the Earth at the scale of Logs, Crosswell, and VSPs, in Earth Heterogeneity and Scattering Effects on Seismic Waves, Advances in Geophysics v. 50, Academic Press, 247-264, 2008.
- Ruiz, Franklin and Arthur Cheng, A rock physics model for tight gas sand, The Leading Edge, 29, 1484, 2010.
- Cheng, Arthur, Lianjie Huang, and Jim Rutledge, Time-lapse VSP data processing for monitoring CO2 injection, The Leading Edge, 29, 196, 2010.
- Fang, Xinding, Michael Fehler, Zhenya Zhu, Tianrun Chen, Stephen Brown, Arthur Cheng, and M. Nafi Toksöz, An approach for predicting stress-induced anisotropy around a borehole, Geophysics, 78, No. 3, D143-D150, 2013.
- Fang, Xinding, Michael Fehler, and Arthur Cheng, Effect of borehole stress concentration on compressional wave velocity measurements, SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts, 498-503, 2013.
- Cheng, Arthur, Downhole measurements and characterization of unconventional reservoirs, SEG Technical Program Expanded Abstracts, 4526-4527, 2013.
- Mukhopadhyay, P., A. Cheng, and P. Tracadas, The differential-phase based time- and frequency-semblance algorithm for array acoustic processing and its application to formation-slowness measurement, Petrophysics, 54, 475-481, 2013.