Teaching Areas | Research Interests | Selected Publications
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Postal Address: Department of Civil and
National University of Singapore
1 Engineering Drive 2, E1A 07-03
Tel: (65) 6516 4532
Dr. Bai is an Associate Professor and the Deputy Head for Postgraduate Studies in the Division of Environmental Science & Engineering, National University of Singapore (NUS). His research at NUS has mainly focused on functional adsorbents and membranes and the related separation processes and mechanisms.
He serves as the Editorial Board Member for Separation and Purification Technology (Elsevier), and the Editorial Advisory Board Member for Recent Patents on Biotechnology (Bentham Science). He also served as the External Evaluator for Research Grant Proposals and the Examiner for PhD theses from other countries. He has been invited and given featured Plenary Lectures in international conferences, including IWA.
- Ph.D., University of Dundee, UK
- M.Eng., Chongqing University, China
- B.Sc., Chongqing University, China
- Associate Professor (2005-present), Division of Environmental Science & Engineering, National University of Singapore
- Assistant/Associate Professor (1999-2005), Dept. of Chemical Engineering, National University of Singapore
- Regional Technology Manager (1996-1999), EIMCO Process Equipment, Asia-Pacific
- Adjunct Senior Researcher (1996-1999), Dept. of Chemical Engineering, National University of Singapore
- Postdoctoral Fellow (1994-1996), Dept. of Chemical Engineering, National University of Singapore
- Visiting Research Fellow (1989-1990), School of Civil Engineering, University of Birmingham, UK
- Featured Plenary Lecture, IWA Particle Separation Congress 2007, Toulouse, France, July 2007 (http://inpact.inp-toulouse.fr/particle-separation2007/programme_en.html)
- Keynote speech, International Seminar on Water Strategy, Shenzhen, China, Feb. 2006,
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, National Science and Technology Board, Singapore (1994)
- Visiting Fellowship, Ministry of Education, China (1989)
- First Prize for New Technology Research, Chongqing University, 1989
- First Prize for New Technology Development and Application, China Society of Civil Engineering, 1988
- Third Prize for Science and Technology Development, Chongqing Science and Technology Committee, 1987
- Excellent Student Awards, Chongqing University, 1979, 1980, 1981
- Excellent Student Award, Chongqing Municipality, 1980
- Editorial Board Member (2005- ), Separation and Purification Technology (Elsevier, Separation and Purification Technology - Elsevier
- Editorial Advisory Board Member (2006- ), Recent Patents on Biotechnology (Bentham Science, http://www.bentham.org/biot/EBM.htm
- International Evaluator for Research Grant Proposals, Research Grant Council, Hong Kong
- International Evaluator for IFS Research Grant Applications, International Foundation for Science (IFS)
- External PhD Thesis Examiner
- Member, Program Committee, ISWA/WMRAS World Congress 2008
- Member, Scientific Committee, Membrane Science and Technology Conference, April 2006, Singapore
- Chair, Organization Committee and Program Committee, NUS Inter-Faculty Workshop on Environmental Science & Engineering, Feb. 2006
- Member, Program Committee, the 6th Asia-Pacific Chitin-Chitosan Symposium, May 2004, Singapore
- Member, Technical Committee, Enviro Asia Conference, Nov. 2003, Singapore
- Member, Technical Advisory Committee, Water & Waste Global Summit, Sept. 2001, Singapore
- Physical and chemical processes
- Membrane separation and modeling
- Environmental technology
- Solid and Hazardous Waste Management
- Resource Recovery and Recycling
- Surface Interaction, Surface Modification
- Functional Membranes, Membrane Processes, Membrane Anti-fouling
- Adsorption, Filtration, Novel Separation Materials
- Nano Materials Synthesis, Nanoparticle-Membrane Hybrid Systems
- Visible-Light Photocatalysts, Photocatalytic Oxidation Processes
- Separation Science and Technology
- Water and Wastewater Treatment
- Li T.G., Liu J.X., Bai Renbi, Ohandja D. G, Wong F.S., "Biodegradation of organonitriles by adapted activated sludge consortium with acetonitrile-degrading microorganisms", Water Research, Vol.41, p3465-3473 (2007).
- Han Wei, Liu Chunxiu, Bai Renbi, "A novel method to prepare high chitosan content blend hollow fiber membrane using a non-acidic dope solvent for highly enhanced adsorptive performance", Journal of Membrane Science, Vol.302, p150-159 (2007).
- Liu Changkun, Bai Renbi, Hong Lian, "Diethylenetriamine-grafted poly(glycidyl methacrylate) adsorbent for effective copper ion adsorption", Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol.303, p99-108 (2006).
- Liu Chunxiu, Bai Renbi, "Adsorptive removal of copper ions with highly porous chitosan/cellulose acetate blend hollow fiber membrabnes", Journal of Membrane Science, Vol.284, P313-322 (2006).
- Liu Chunxiu, Bai Renbi, "Preparing highly porous chitosan/cellulose acetate blend hollow fibers as adsorptive membranes: Effect of polymer concentrations and coagulant compositions", Journal of Membrane Science, Vol.279, p336-346 (2006).
- Li Nan, Bai Renbi, "Highly enhanced adsorption of lead ions on chitosan granules functionalized with polyacrylic acid", Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol.45, p7897-7904 (2006).
- Li Nan, Bai Renbi, Liu Changkun, "Enhanced and selective adsorption of mercury ions on chitosan beads grafted with polyacrylamide via surface-initiated atomic transfer radical polymerization", Langmuir, Vol.21, p11780-11787 (2005) [Most-Cited Articles: 2005, http://pubs.acs.org/journals/langd5/promo/most/most_cited/2005.html
- Liu Chunxiu, Bai Renbi, "Preparation of chitosan/cellulose acetate blend hollow fibers for adsorptive performance", Journal of Membrane Science, Vol.267, p68-77 (2005).
- Yan W.L., Bai Renbi, "Adsorption of lead and humic acid on chitosan hydrogel beads ", Water Research, Vol.39, p688-698 (2005).
- Li Nan, Bai Renbi, "A novel amine-shielded surface crosslinking of chitosan hydrogel beads for enhanced metal adsorption performance", Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol.44, p6692-6700 (2005).
- Li Nan, Bai Renbi, "Copper adsorption on chitosan-cellulose hydrogel beads: behaviors and mechanisms", Seperation and Purification Technology, Vol.42, p237-247 (2005).
- Bai Renbi, Tien C., "Further work on cake filtration analysis", Chemical Engineering Science, Vol.60, p301-313 (2005).
- Deng S.B., Bai Renbi, "Adsorption and desorption of humic acid on aminated polyacrylonitrile fibers", Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol.280, p36-43 (2004).
- Deng S.B., Bai Renbi, "Removal of trivalent and hexavalent chromium with aminated polyacrylonitrile fibers: performance and mechanisms", Water Research, Vol.38, p2423-2431 (2004).
- Zhang X., Bai Renbi, "Surface electric properties of polypyrrole in aqueous solutions", Langmuir, Vol.19, p10703-10709 (2003).
- Deng S.B., Bai Renbi, Chen J.P., "Aminated polyacrylonitrile fibers for lead and copper removal", Langmuir, Vol.19, p5058-5064 (2003).
- Deng S.B., Bai Renbi, "Aminated polyacrylonitrile fibers for humic acid adsorption: behaviors and mechanisms", Environmental Science and Technology, Vol.37, p5799-5805 (2003).
- Lim A.L., Bai Renbi, "Membrane fouling and cleaning in microfiltration of activated sludge wastewater", Journal of Membrane Science, Vol.216, p279-290 (2003).
- Zhang X., Bai Renbi, "Mechanisms and kinetics of humic acid adsorption to chitosan-coated granules", Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol.264, p30-38 (2003).
- Jin L., Bai Renbi, "Mechanisms of lead adsorption on chitosan/PVA hydrogel beads", Langmuir, Vol.18, p9765-9770 (2002).